Meet JoJo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, everyone. I just made a post and was thoroughly schooled on lighting so let's keep that out of this thread :D This is my newest beardie, JoJo! I was at a PetSmart (I know, I know) and saw something that blew me away. A bright orange leatherback! I had never seen a leatherback in person and his colors totally took my breath away. I knew I had to have him. I had the essentials at home so I wasn't impulse buying a reptile without everything else I needed. I will be getting him a better UVB setup on Tuesday and his enclosure is a little thrown together right now with a very bad carpet job, but he's loving it. He's explored all of what little he can right now (he's in a 40 but can only get to about half) and he loves his basking platform/hide. He sleeps under it and spends most of his time on top just watching me while I study. He's a little skittish right now, but I've only had him for a couple of days so I don't expect him to be comfortable around me already. Anyways, on to the pictures!
full

full

He's stunning and he always gives me the sideways glares when I move, like how dare I move near him while he's relaxing lol

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad he's settling in well and enjoys his new domain =). Please let us know if you have any questions (even about lighting) and we'll do our best to help.

ChristGilley

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3uf7bh6i said:
I'm glad he's settling in well and enjoys his new domain =). Please let us know if you have any questions (even about lighting) and we'll do our best to help.
I knew I would need a better lighting setup shortly after getting him, I have the dreaded coil bulb but he wasn't given me any signs of the lighting being an issue. He's massacred 10 crickets in the past 2 days. He isn't as interested today but still very active and roaming his tank. He did eat a little too fast the first day and potentially aspirated or didn't chew something enough so he might be a little worried about trying again. I have some dubia's on the way and already bought some containers to keep them (and hopefully breed them if I'm lucky) so I'll be swapping to those to see how he likes them. I'm going to offer him some veggies for the first time today and see how he likes them. My last beardie would only eat collards and squash, let's see if this one is equally as picky lol

ChristGilley

Original Poster
I got JoJo to eat some cucumber last night and today. He only eats a bit but it's better than nothing and it'll help get him to Tuesday when I can upgrade his bulbs. I still think he's just stressed from moving as he's still very active and alert but also very skittish. I took some goofy pictures this morning
full

full

ChristGilley

Original Poster
My dubia roaches came in today. I took JoJo out of his tank and he smashed 8 of them before he had his fill! I think I found his preferred meal :D

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thats good the dubias are way better for him --- are you dusting them as well? --- he will probably only eat the bugs mainly as their diet is mainly protein-- but its good your offering the vegies-- you could also offer him collard mustard or turnip greens -- green beans -- maybe a little fruit--
Karrie

ChristGilley

Original Poster
KarrieRee":23km3hm2 said:
Thats good the dubias are way better for him --- are you dusting them as well? --- he will probably only eat the bugs mainly as their diet is mainly protein-- but its good your offering the vegies-- you could also offer him collard mustard or turnip greens -- green beans -- maybe a little fruit--
Karrie
I did, I will also be gut loading them. My last beardie loved collards and squash so we will see which ones he likes. I'm so happy he took the dubias since he seemed to have lost interest in crickets pretty fast. I also found out that my mom has a Zoo Med T5 hood but a cat knocked it off my tortoise enclosure so it no longer works. I'm going to see about potentially fixing it, otherwise I'll grab another one Tuesday

ChristGilley

Original Poster
I DID IT! The only fixture I could get is a ReptiSun T8 but it's the one that they always have bulbs for local so I won't have to worry about not being able to get a bulb if mine burns out. I immediately saw a difference in JoJo's activity. He started eating in his enclosure and kept asking for more until he decided he was full and is now sleeping. I am super happy to have finally bought the proper lighting and to see such a reaction within 30 minutes of flipping it on. Thank you to Karrie for schooling me on the importance of tube bulbs!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so you got the T 8 and it's in tank approx 6-8 inches from him?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yep that is a coil and they are no good---- you want a tube---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom