what is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my beardie is acting normal and eating his normal amounts, poop is normal etc. but there is this dark patch on his back, and also a bit of yellow on the side. it seems like they’re might be stuck shed in the side as well. can anyone tell me what this is?
https://imgur.com/a/iHkNwrK

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am not sure usually shed is grey/ or opaque color --- is the spot getting any bigger --? it could be coloring --- someone else is gonna haft to weigh in on this one
Karrie

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Is it possible that he got to close to his basking light? It almost looks like a burn to me. How close is the basking light (at it's closest point) to his back, not the basking spot. What wattage bulb are you using and what type Halogen, MVB...ect? This happens a lot, sometime folks don't realize just how intense the heat can get in a small area.

EvanAllen2

Original Poster
thank you both for responding, his heat bulb in 175W. there are 2 basking areas, one very low that absorbs heat better, which gets to around 105. then there is one that doesn’t really absorb heat so is closer to the bulb, probably about 6 inches away.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
EvanAllen2":209fedee said:
thank you both for responding, his heat bulb in 175W. there are 2 basking areas, one very low that absorbs heat better, which gets to around 105. then there is one that doesn’t really absorb heat so is closer to the bulb, probably about 6 inches away.
WOW 175w are you serious??!!!!! I heat my entire 4x2x2 Viv with a 75w bulb. I am surprised he's not cooked by now and, with the ability to get within 6" of it. That's what it is a BURN!!!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree 175w is huge. I use a 50w for my tank. What are you measuring your temperatures with?

I used a 125watt bulb with my uro to get my basking spot to 130. I can only imagine that the potential for yours to be much too high is great.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need to get a infrared heat gun and take basking temps w/ that-- you can get them at Walmart home Depot or Lowe's for $10-- I would get that 175watt bulb out now and get a lower watt bulb like 75 or 100 get your heat gun and go from there--- basking temps should be around 100-110 for a baby-- please get bulb out ASAP-- you don't want to continue to burn him--- you only need one basking spot -- what kind of UVB do you have for his tank ?
Karrie

EvanAllen2

Original Poster
i have an infrared heat gun, his lower basking spot gets to around 105-109 and the upper spot is right around 97. i also have a thermometer stuck on the inside on each side of the tank where the hot side is 95 and the cool side is 80.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So he only has one basking spot? The lower one is good--- you only need one basking spot and a UVB spot for him-- he should not be able to get so close that he can burn himself--
Karrie

EvanAllen2

Original Poster
he has 2 and one is a log he can climb up to get closer because when i measure the surface temp it’s only around 97 degrees. that’s why i didn’t think this lamp was too much because i measure the temps regularly and the highest i’ve ever seen the basking spot is 110, on the lower one.

EvanAllen2

Original Poster
it’s also worth noting that we brought him to the vet today to get it checked out and told them the exact specifications of the tank/bulbs/distances and they said it sounded perfect. also, after looking back to the pictures we took the day we got him, it seems the spot was there at that time. (this was before we knew about symptoms of possible fungus.) based on the temperatures im getting now i just don’t see how a weaker bulb could get the same readings.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok good -- was really concerned he was cooking himself-- :) but glad to hear
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It really depends on the type of bulb, the room temps, how well the surface holds heat, and the fixture itself plays a huge role in it. While it is out of the ordinary, if your temperatures are in range that's all that matters.

It does look like a burn though. What did the vet say?

-Brandon

EvanAllen2

Original Poster
the vet seemed to think it’s most likely some type of bacterial or fungal infection from before we got him (a little over 2 weeks ago). they took samples of the infected skin and sent it to get tested, should be letting us know the results within a week. in the meantime we’re bathing him once a day in betadine water and putting lamasil on the infected spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom