Bearded Dragon hasn't defecated or eaten in over a month...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie is a female, just over a year old, and has been a great eater until earlier this year. She progressively lost her appetite until finally, she stopped completely. And without eating, she stopped having bowel movements as well. However, she has been drinking well, running around, and playing just as she always has. After 1 month of her not eating, I recently had to take her to my local exotic vet. He found some common parasites that she could have had for a while now, but he said that her appetite should not be affected by that. He thought it could also be impaction, but after firing water up my lizards a**, and feeling around on her stomach, he ruled it out. She hasn't lost any weight either, so he suggested brumation. With a fair knowledge of what brumation is, I informed him that she hasn't been lethargic and the only thing that has changed about her is her eating and pooping habits. He gave me a somewhat puzzled look, and gave me medicine to kill the parasites, which he said would also increase appetite. So far it has been 1 week since I have been to the vet, and she still refuses to eat any collard greens or her favorite insect, superworms.
Necessary Info
Basking temp- 104.5 F
Cool side- 80.1 F
Humidity- 35%
Substrate- Lizard Carpet
Lighting- Reptisun 10.0 and 30" T8 Terrarium Hood
Diet Previous to Loss of eating habit- Crickets until she lost interest and only liked to eat super worms and collard greens for a week, then only collard greens until she finally fully lost appetite.
Weight- 515g
Length- 17.5"
She basks roughly 9" from the light
Her cage size is 36x18x18 (yes I know it is getting small for her size, I'm planning on upgrading her cage size in late April.
Alright, that is all I can think of right now, but if you need any more info I'd be more than happy to give it to you. Thanks for any help.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Is the UVB on top of the screen or under? A T8 is OK if it is within 8" of your dragon below the screen (unblocked by screen, plastic or glass).This could be part of the issue she is having. A Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO is much stronger than the 10.0 T8, an Arcadia 12% D3 is better yet.

SgtAnarchy

Original Poster
Gormagon":10db55bb said:
Is the UVB on top of the screen or under? A T8 is OK if it is within 8" of your dragon below the screen (unblocked by screen, plastic or glass).This could be part of the issue she is having. A Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO is much stronger than the 10.0 T8, an Arcadia 12% D3 is better yet.
It is on top of a screen. I can't figure out how to equally distribute the UVB light and the basking light because of how focused the basking light is and how wide the dome lamp is. The basking light is directly shining on her basking rock while the UVB lamp is offset to the side, as I figured that the bulb would spread light rather than focus it because it is a round fluorescent. There is also a curved mirror reflecting the light inside of the lamp. But I'm no expert so maybe it isn't enough. Could improper UVB lighting affect eating or is it a general question, because I've heard of improper basking bulb temps messing it up, but not UVB.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
SgtAnarchy":3kxfi36a said:
Gormagon":3kxfi36a said:
It is on top of a screen. I can't figure out how to equally distribute the UVB light and the basking light because of how focused the basking light is and how wide the dome lamp is. The basking light is directly shining on her basking rock while the UVB lamp is offset to the side, as I figured that the bulb would spread light rather than focus it because it is a round fluorescent. There is also a curved mirror reflecting the light inside of the lamp. But I'm no expert so maybe it isn't enough. Could improper UVB lighting affect eating or is it a general question, because I've heard of improper basking bulb temps messing it up, but not UVB.
Yes it can cause this and, many other issues like MBD and, Lethargy. UVB is a very important part of the digestion process, just as important as heat gradients. Heat starts the breakdown process and, the UVB rays aid in metabolizing the nutrients from the food and turning it into the vitamins and, minerals needed to sustain them.
With the T8 being on top of the screen, the UVB rays are cut by 40 to 50% of an already inadequate bulb. The only solution you have (without buying a stronger UVB) is to mount it under the screen, within 8" of the basking spot.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You can use the 3M Command hooks or the strong zip ties or wire, to tie the UVB light on the
underneath side of the screen top. I highly agree, the screen has most likely been filtering out
the UVB light too much so your dragon hasn't been getting adequate UVB lighting. The T8 is
a good bulb as suggested, as long as it is mounted at a 6-8 inch distance. The T5 tubes are
higher output so you could definitely consider upgrading to one of those.
How often do you give calcium & vitamins to her?

You could start giving her some slurries made from blended greens, sweet potato baby food,
prune baby food, canned pumpkin or squash baby food to try & get things moving through her.
You can add chicken or turkey baby food also for some protein, too.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
PS> Defecate sounds so clinical, You can say poop, little gifts or, pooh if you want to on here, we do, LOL!!!

SgtAnarchy

Original Poster
Gormagon":xgnk5wx4 said:
SgtAnarchy":xgnk5wx4 said:
Gormagon":xgnk5wx4 said:
Yes it can cause this and, many other issues like MBD and, Lethargy. UVB is a very important part of the digestion process, just as important as heat gradients. Heat starts the breakdown process and, the UVB rays aid in metabolizing the nutrients from the food and turning it into the vitamins and, minerals needed to sustain them.
With the T8 being on top of the screen, the UVB rays are cut by 40 to 50% of an already inadequate bulb. The only solution you have (without buying a stronger UVB) is to mount it under the screen, within 8" of the basking spot.
Sorry that it has been a while, I've been somewhat busy. But anyway, the way my cage is set up makes it extremely difficult to do that. Not only are there two plastic crossbeams going through the screen, but the light fixture I have has no mounting holes or any legitimate way of actually mounting it. This light is what I have used for my beardie's entire life, and there hasn't been any issue by now, but judging by your account, I can tell you have a lot of experience. Here are the links to the cage and the light for visuals:
Cage- https://www.google.com/shopping/product/3681342888805099754?lsf=seller:8064,store:1400953768861440938,s:h&prds=oid:10131047727912883356&q=48x18x18+terrarium&hl=en&ei=d7WeXLeiLcO-tQW-6Z-QBg&lsft=utm_source:google,utm_term:5175702,utm_medium:cpc,utm_content:GSC+-+Medium+-+Specialty+-+Reptile+%7C+Habitats+&utm_medium=cpc&lsft=gclid:Cj0KCQjwhPfkBRD0ARIsAAcYycGpXsGv2wFWvft1aUOJsxaz83kTWxAaN0rs0xMDzJQliuwCMQpdOnEaAmfQEALw_wcB
Light Fixture- https://zoomed.com/t8-reptisun-terrarium-hood/

SgtAnarchy

Original Poster
Gormagon":2ymsqi9c said:
PS> Defecate sounds so clinical, You can say poop, little gifts or, pooh if you want to on here, we do, LOL!!!
Lol, the veterinarian gave me a funny look when I said poop and repeated what I had said using the word "defecated" instead. I've said defecated since then.

SgtAnarchy

Original Poster
Drache613":1n91kk61 said:
Hello,

You can use the 3M Command hooks or the strong zip ties or wire, to tie the UVB light on the
underneath side of the screen top. I highly agree, the screen has most likely been filtering out
the UVB light too much so your dragon hasn't been getting adequate UVB lighting. The T8 is
a good bulb as suggested, as long as it is mounted at a 6-8 inch distance. The T5 tubes are
higher output so you could definitely consider upgrading to one of those.
How often do you give calcium & vitamins to her?

You could start giving her some slurries made from blended greens, sweet potato baby food,
prune baby food, canned pumpkin or squash baby food to try & get things moving through her.
You can add chicken or turkey baby food also for some protein, too.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Thank you for the feedback. There are just a couple of problems I'm facing. The hood lamp is made of aluminum and is very heavy for its size, so I'm hesitant to use 3M command strips (although I do use it for her hammock). As for the zip ties, there is nothing to tie it to, so I really can't do that. I just replaced this fixture and bulb in December, so I can't really afford getting a T5. Here is the link to the fixture to give you an idea of what I'm dealing with- https://zoomed.com/t8-reptisun-terrarium-hood/. There are also crossbars on the mesh making everything even worse... :banghead:

As for food, the vet that I went to gave me medicine for her parasites which is supposed to increase apatite as well. He said that I should try to offer her vegetable and insects, but that forcing her to eat some is unnecessary because she is still at a very healthy weight. In 2 weeks he will try to take a better fecal sample and make further inspections. Thanks for all the support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom