Bearded dragon not acting right

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know a lot about bearded dragons but have been reading a ton and doing my best to do everything right. Someone I know who cannot take care of themselves was trying to sell him for gas money and I figured I was his only hope. Anyways I am concerned that something is wrong with him I attached photos to see if anyone else thinks something is wrong or if I am being a worried first time beardie parent and over worrying. He is darker than he normally is and he has had less of an appetite the last few days.
full

full

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post his tank and lighting --- lighting is crucial to their overall health and behavior--
thanks Karrie

Redhead31a

Original Poster
Sorry I was so worried that I posted it without all the info I should have included
full

He has a 22” reptisun 10 mounted inside the enclosure and he has a 100 watt zoomed repti basking spotlight on the hot side and I cannot remember what the bulb is on the cool side but I think it is 75 watts. I just raised the hot side lamp up because it was saying 110. I had it raised up before but my husband likes to move things like he knows what he is doing despite not doing nearly as much research. He also put a different log on the cool side so it was saying 95 today. Previously the log didn’t go up as high and and it was more like 85 before he switched it and I had it at around 95 on the hot side. Do you think the problem might be the change in temperature? Also should mention I use an infrared thermometer.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The infrared heat gun gives accurate temps which is what you want-- usually when they turn dark they are absorbing the heat-- it could be relocation stress if you have not had him long--- is he getting around ok--- ?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so location stress should be gone by now-- what about mobility is he getting around -- and what size tank do you have him in?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
His cool side should be 80 -- at nite no lower than 65-- could be the temps are too warm --- what is he doing now?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please read the article under Behavior and Anatomy on the right side of page its under the Articles topic -- it will give information -- it seems a little late for brumation most are coming out of it now -- is he eating? What is he eating?
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He looks to be in really good condition physically, overall, the best that I can tell. Do you have
an estimated age?
The Reptisun 10 tube bulb, is it directly overhead or mounted on the back wall? I couldn't
tell for sure, but it looks good as it is. What is the distance from her?
As suggested, the basking spot should be in a range of 95-110 with a cooler end of around 78-
82. Adults tend to like it around 105 or under. If they get too hot it will affect their overall appetite
& willingness to sit under their basking areas.
How often do you give calcium supplementation?
The insects you are feeding, be sure that they are not too large for him. As a rule, crickets &
roaches should be smaller than the space between the eyes.
He shouldn't be brumating, as most are coming out right now.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom