Worried my bearded is getting too skinny

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 3 month old bearded dragon, he has not been very interested in crickets that I can tell, all he does is watch them but doesn't seem to want to go after them. He is very active he runs around his tank a lot and loves to explore too. His tank a 40 gallon it is kept at 70° (on the cold side) and 90°(on the hot side). His skin is a little bit wrinkled too but I give him bathes and keep a water dish in his tank. I he looks too skinny for a bearded of his age but I am a new owner. His head seems to be a little bit bigger or the same size as his stomach, I keep the crickets in his cage over night then take them out if there is any in the morning. I don't usually see any in the morning I'm not sure if he eats them or if they some how got under his carpet in his cage. I've been giving him a waxworm or 2 a week and he loves them, is there anything I can give him like waxworms? I really want my little guy to be happy and healthy.
103850-7003109422.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please no more crickets in the tank at nite they need to come out as they tend to feed on the dragons at nite and we dont want him getting bit and then infection-------------- please post pics of your tank and lighting-- I am guessing it has something to do w/ your lighting and that plays a huge role in their over all health and behavior
thanks Karrie

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Your baby dragons basking temps should be between 100 to 105/110, this alone will cause them to not eat well. Heat is what they use to break down their food and, if they can't break it down they won't eat.
Proper UVB is a must as well. It is essential to their digestion it helps them extract nutrients from their meals and process vitamin D3.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He is probably scared of the crickets, but loves the tasty [ and fatty ] waxworms . What you can do is take about 3-4 crickets at a time, a pinch of calcium powder and shake them up pretty hard in a jar with the lid on. This will cause the crickets to be weak + wobbly , then drop them right near your dragon . Dragons usually go for slow moving easy prey. If that works, continue adding more cricks 3-4 at a time until dragon is done eating.

Motherofdragon19

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2z1bblep said:
Please no more crickets in the tank at nite they need to come out as they tend to feed on the dragons at nite and we dont want him getting bit and then infection-------------- please post pics of your tank and lighting-- I am guessing it has something to do w/ your lighting and that plays a huge role in their over all health and behavior
thanks Karrie

Thank you so much for letting me know all of this I really appreciate that. I will post some pictures of his tank.

Motherofdragon19

Original Poster
Gormagon":wq14k5f4 said:
Your baby dragons basking temps should be between 100 to 105/110, this alone will cause them to not eat well. Heat is what they use to break down their food and, if they can't break it down they won't eat.
Proper UVB is a must as well. It is essential to their digestion it helps them extract nutrients from their meals and process vitamin D3.
I have been searching for the right bulb but haven't found one that heats above 90°, I bought 3 different ones all seem to do better than the one before but none have been working good. I do have a good UVB light thankfully.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please post pics of your tank and lighting -- thanks Karrie -- their lighting plays a huge role in their eating and over all health=--- he does not look healthy we need to check the lighting

Motherofdragon19

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1mmm71w6 said:
Please post pics of your tank and lighting -- thanks Karrie -- their lighting plays a huge role in their eating and over all health=--- he does not look healthy we need to check the lighting
103850-4834367475.jpg
103850-5510821687.jpg
103850-8321521752.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok first off the UVB is it a coil-- I am guessing it is--- here is some info on that --
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T 5 only needs changed out once a year whereas the T 8 every six months -- the T 8 is not as strong a bulb as the T 5 and the UVB needs to go inside the tank -- the T 5 approx 10-11 inches from basking the Reptisun 10.0 T 8 6-8 inches from basking -- what are the basking temps running in tank -- do you have a Infrared heat gun? They are the most accurate for getting temps--the heat gun can be purchased at Walmart Home Depot or Lowes for around $10-- your dragon is losing weight because of lighting issues I am guessing --- his basking temps should be 90-105- warmer for babies -- You might to look into getting a hide for him/ her some more things for him to climb on -- this lighting is crucial for his over all health -- and his behavior-- please get this changed out as soon as you can --- and you need basking temps please-- I posted a pic of my tank for enclosure ideas ---
97951-1918616193.jpg
Karrie

Motherofdragon19

Original Poster
KarrieRee":32vr0jsj said:
Ok first off the UVB is it a coil-- I am guessing it is--- here is some info on that --
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T 5 only needs changed out once a year whereas the T 8 every six months -- the T 8 is not as strong a bulb as the T 5 and the UVB needs to go inside the tank -- the T 5 approx 10-11 inches from basking the Reptisun 10.0 T 8 6-8 inches from basking -- what are the basking temps running in tank -- do you have a Infrared heat gun? They are the most accurate for getting temps--the heat gun can be purchased at Walmart Home Depot or Lowes for around $10-- your dragon is losing weight because of lighting issues I am guessing --- his basking temps should be 90-105- warmer for babies -- You might to look into getting a hide for him/ her some more things for him to climb on -- this lighting is crucial for his over all health -- and his behavior-- please get this changed out as soon as you can --- and you need basking temps please-- I posted a pic of my tank for enclosure ideas ---
97951-1918616193.jpg
Karrie
Thank you so much! You are a life saver, I got his cage warmer and now he's eating and coming back to normal again. I'm gong to have to get that light though I had no idea it could cause them to go blind all the people at Petsmart were telling the bulb was better.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I hate to say this (well maybe not) but Petsmart employees have killed more dragons with bad advice than common dragon diseases. They are there to sell a product not to help.

When you do order a reptisun T5 HO Fixture order the 10.0 bulb as well, as they come with a 5.0. The T8 is not strong enough for that setup....it's too tall.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your baby should be eating 20 or so crickets / feeding or 6-8 dubia roaches / feeding -- I would try feeding him 2 times per day to get him to gain some weight--- offer vegies like mustard collard or turnip greens green beans squash any kind maybe some fruit like apple strawberries blueberries mango etc----------no citrus! Keep us posted on how its going---Please dust those bugs w/ calcium d3 per feeding 5 x per week along w/ vitamins 2 x per week---thanks
Karrie

Motherofdragon19

Original Poster
Gormagon":324fxwb0 said:
I hate to say this (well maybe not) but Petsmart employees have killed more dragons with bad advice than common dragon diseases. They are there to sell a product not to help.

When you do order a reptisun T5 HO Fixture order the 10.0 bulb as well, as they come with a 5.0. The T8 is not strong enough for that setup....it's too tall.
Wow that is pethetic, I'm not going there if they are telling me things that can potentially kill him. Oh ok, thanks I'll look for that.

Motherofdragon19

Original Poster
KarrieRee":chw30uha said:
Your baby should be eating 20 or so crickets / feeding or 6-8 dubia roaches / feeding -- I would try feeding him 2 times per day to get him to gain some weight--- offer vegies like mustard collard or turnip greens green beans squash any kind maybe some fruit like apple strawberries blueberries mango etc----------no citrus! Keep us posted on how its going---Please dust those bugs w/ calcium d3 per feeding 5 x per week along w/ vitamins 2 x per week---thanks
Karrie
He has been eating about 10 crickets a day but if I try to fees him anymore he ia just not interested. I would feed him Dubai roaches but they are illegal where I live. I have been offering him vegetables and fruits though, no luck so far but I think he'll come around. I have been dusting the crickets too. I will let you guys know how he's doing.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Dubias are illegal ? You can try waxworms (bsfl) they are high in calicium -- Google them and go from there---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom