Help by dragons eyes are swollen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel9999

I went to feed her this afternoon and saw her eyes super swollen. They weren’t that way last night. We took Beardie to the vet and the vet didn’t know what is causing it but perscribed antibiotic eye drops for a week. One eye still looks clear just swollen but the other eye is hard for her to open and a bit guncky.
So I am curious if anyone has had this happen before and what was the cause.
Thank you in advance for any help!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What bulbs are you using for your lighting?
And what substrate are you using?

-Brandon

Angel9999

Original Poster
I use a desert uvb bulb, a ceramic heater and a reptile night bulb. She’s on reptile carpet. All of these things I have been using for years with her and never had this happen.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Swollen eyes can be caused by several factors ranging from shedding to infection or organ problems. Are they swollen constantly? Or just bulging out for short periods?
Can you post some photos? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What is the desert uvb bulb brand? And is it a long tube or a coil?

The carpet is good that helps rule out the possibility that substrate is in her eyes.

However, eye damage from improper lighting doesnt manifest itself immediately and can take months if not years to show issues.

Without knowing exactly what uvb bulb you are using, I can point out one of the issues in your lighting being that you mention your uvb, a CHE and a night bulb.

Unless your uvb is an mvb bulb, you have to have a source of uva. Yes uvb bulbs also produce uva but you need a bright white light for the basking spot to protect the dragons eyes. A bright white bulb helps shield and protect the dragons eyes from the damaging uvb rays. if you're using a coil uvb bulb this damage would be any greater because not only is the uvb Ray's damaging to the eyes in the absence of a bright white light, but the intensity of light coming from the coil bulbs alone has been known to cause eye issues.

And not that I believe the night bulb is related to the eye issue, but at night there shouldn't be any light and dragons can in fact see the light emitted from those so called night bulbs. If you need to add extra heat at night that's where your CHE should be used.

-Brandon

Angel9999

Original Poster
I have 4 domes. One is the ceramic bulb. Second is night time bulb. The other is a dual with uvb bulb and basking bulb together. All are zoomed.
One eye looks better than the other.
She was trying to eat last night but had a hard time seeing.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That doesn't look like shed related eye bulging unfortunately. Sometimes their eyes are like that genetically, but if they just started looking that way, then I would guess that this may be kidney related or some type of aneurysm. Did the vet draw blood to test system functions?

As far as lighting goes, the ceramic bulb is good for additional heat as well as overnight heat as needed. I wouldn't use a light that produces any visible light overnight as that can cause disturbance. Is your basking light a ZooMed PowerSun? If so, which wattage are you using? The different wattages have different optimal mounting distances for proper UVB output.

Angel9999

Original Poster
Vet gave me eye drops to use for a week to see if that does anything and if not then we bring her back in for blood work.
I will have to check on the basking bulb tonight after work.
Only things on at night are the ceramic and a night glow heat bulb.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds good. Hopefully the eye drops will do the trick. I advise not using the night glow (Exo Terra?) bulb anymore and sticking just with the CHE if the temps in the tank drop below 70 overnight. The night glow bulb gives off visible light that could be causing a disturbance.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Angel9999":16m4afqw said:
I have 4 domes. One is the ceramic bulb. Second is night time bulb. The other is a dual with uvb bulb and basking bulb together.
In your dual dome.... is it a heat bulb and a CFL bulb? (The spiral kind)

-Brandon

Angel9999

Original Poster
A basking bulb and a spiral uvb. Going to pet store after work to get a different kind of uvb. I’ve always used the spiral kind for my dragons and didn’t know they were bad or have had this issue. ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Angel9999":156pc13v said:
A basking bulb and a spiral uvb. Going to pet store after work to get a different kind of uvb. I’ve always used the spiral kind for my dragons and didn’t know they were bad or have had this issue. ?

A good 22” T5 is your best bet based on my testing and research. I like Arcadia 12% bulbs the best. Good T5 24” fixture with reflector sittig about 12” above the main basking site is your best bet.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How do you hydrate her ? Offer water dripped on her snout during a 10 minute lukewarm soak and even via eyedropper or spray bottle while she's in her tank. Kidney issues can cause the eyes to swell when lack of hydration is involved. It could be related to the lights also as mentioned already. Hope your girl feels better after some hydration + possible change of lighting. :)

Angel9999

Original Poster
She has a water dish in her tank so she can get in it if she needs too but I spray her tank and she also gets fruits or veggies. I’m taking her vet again Thursday. Her eyes are just not improving and the one looking okay has gotten worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom