Bearded Dragon sick? Possible impaction??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARPrice

Hi! I'm not sure how to explain this all. But my beardie, Odin, layed about 35 eggs on Feb 26th and has been acting weird since around a week before that. She's was eating okay, but this last week she hasn't eaten at all. I've started feeding her baby food today, giving extra baths the last few days, but she's started twitching her head. I'm not sure if it's MBD even. She's been having REALLY watery poops buy the white is still white. She's not been very active, but climbs under her lamp and stays there. Also. Her fat pads are practically not there. I'm really worried and I would like some advice. I'm a college student just trying to get by and can't afford a few hundred dollars for the vet. Anything is greatly appreciated!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It does look like she has lost quite a bit of weight but she looks alert which is encouraging. That's a lot of eggs and I'm sure it exhausted her. She will need to slowly rebuild her calcium supply and gain weight. You may want to try some Repashy RescueCal to help her with calcium https://www.store.repashy.com/rescuecal-3-oz-jar.html It's important that she has access to high quality UVB or time outside in natural sunlight (preferably both) in order to help absorb the calcium. Mixed with water it will also help keep her hydrated. For nutrients keep trying to offer veges, especially things like collard greens and turnip greens which are calcium rich. Squash and green beans chopped up are also popular. If she won't go for it, try getting some baby food squash or sweet potato and offer that to her for a bit.

ARPrice

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3nxvi38p said:
It does look like she has lost quite a bit of weight but she looks alert which is encouraging. That's a lot of eggs and I'm sure it exhausted her. She will need to slowly rebuild her calcium supply and gain weight. You may want to try some Repashy RescueCal to help her with calcium https://www.store.repashy.com/rescuecal-3-oz-jar.html It's important that she has access to high quality UVB or time outside in natural sunlight (preferably both) in order to help absorb the calcium. Mixed with water it will also help keep her hydrated. For nutrients keep trying to offer veges, especially things like collard greens and turnip greens which are calcium rich. Squash and green beans chopped up are also popular. If she won't go for it, try getting some baby food squash or sweet potato and offer that to her for a bit.

Thanks for answering!! I have a few calcium and vitamin powders and a water additive, but she has been having problems eating. I contacted my mom and luckily she agreed to help cover any charges I can't at the vet, so I'm going to get her checked out tonight. I'll be keeping everyone updated.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Show a picture of her from the side rather than front view, you can't really get a real sense of her size from that angle. They do lose quite a chunk of girth after laying but usually will start eating quickly again. Feed her twice a day and the supplement that Cooper mentioned is good or the vet may prescribe Oxbow Critical Care supplement. .

ARPrice

Original Poster
Unfortunately the vet said after she laid that many eggs for her first time, it drained her body of calcium, so she can't retain any hydration and it's causing her to not eat and possible failure of her organs. I'm hoping for good news when the blood work comes back!! She received 3 shots today, and is on two medicines and a liquid diet until so! I have hope even though the vet didn't seem to have much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom