Color

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKACZMAR

Fred will always exhibit a black beard if she’s unhappy. 99pct of the time it’s because she wants attention. She is super social and a princess in our house and she knows it lol! So what I’ve noticed is that she can go from being black to when I pull her from her VIV she immediately goes to her normal light color with distinctive orange marks on her beard. She exhibits this same orange color when she eats too. I know beardies express they are unhappy but is expressing they are in fact happy possible as well? I’ve read a lot about their behavior and some say they don’t feel emotions but it’s very evident she feels something. I can’t recall how to post a pic. Curious what your thoughts are.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Could be her lighting -- it has alot to do w/ their behavior -- please post pics of her tank and lighting
Karrie

JKACZMAR

Original Poster
She’s always a light color except if I have her out or she’s scarfing food. She eats and poops great.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the UVB us a coil? Here is some info on that subject --Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months.The T 5's need to be changed out once a year--- the Reptisun T 8 takes a regular fixture and needs to be changed out every 6 months - its not as strong a bulb as the T 5 but still good--- you would need to place the UVB inside the tank for the T 5 approx 10-11 inches from his basking spot for the T 8 6-8 inches from the basking spot-- the covers over the bulb need to be off for best UVB rays--
What kind of substrate is Fred on?
Karrie

JKACZMAR

Original Poster
She actually has the Reptisun T5 10.0. Likely hard to see. The dome light fixture on the right has her basking light. On the left is a lower wattage basking light and a ceramic emitter for night during the winter. She is on textured slate tile. Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The mesh is it fine or wide hole? I cant see it -- w/ it being on top of tank alot of the rays are being filtered out if its a fine mesh--- I have the T 5 as well but I have it mounted inside the tank -- it should be approx 10-11 inches from basking area-- when replacing the T 5 bulb you might invest in a Arcadia 10.0 HO bulb -- I have one on back up for mine as the T 5's are not as strong as the strong as the 10.0 and when I ordered the T 5 fixture it came w/ the T 5 so I went ahead and used it
Karrie

JKACZMAR

Original Poster
Ok thanks so much! The top has pretty large holes but I will definitely mount it on the inside and get the Arcadia 12%. Do you think the orange means she’s not thriving? Have had a year and she seems to be doing great.

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
I think the orange is just natural coloring on the beard. My guy has an orange beard. My understanding is it’s just a natural coloring that comes in on some beardies with age. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
My beadiie
97951-5506671225.jpg
has a orange beard but he's a orange citrus tiger--
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom