New beardie owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
Food offering sounds good. Rule of thumb for the hard shelled bugs like crickets is no bigger than the width between the eyes which likely means pinhead crickets. Definitely no mealworms (probably ever) and supers not until the little one is much larger. BSFL larvae work well for the little guys cause they are soft bodied. Small or extra small silkworms may stimulate a feeding response and can also be good for hydration. If you could find very tiny hornworms they can also do the trick sometimes and again also good for hydration. Your veggie mix is solid. It really sounds like you have what you need going on. Only other thing is possible placement of that UVB light. Depending on T8 or T5 would affect the placement. Either one I recommend mounting in the enclosure and not using through the screen. When my guy was in his 40 breeder I mounted the fixture under the screen. I hung it from the mesh using some wire from the hardware store. T8 would need to be a little closer than T5. I think T8 needs to be about 6-8 inches away with some variation in distance in different spots. The T5 probably about 11 inches in the furthest spot with a spot where they can get about 6-8 inches or so from it. If you offer some variation they are pretty good about regulating themselves and finding their spot.

2 days so far is not that bad but do need to get the little one some nutrition very soon. If it doesn’t start taking bugs soon maybe someone can advise on some alternative for nutrition. I know people often have to resort to slurries and possibly baby food sometimes, so if it comes to that maybe someone with some more experience with that can chime in. I think 2-3 days or relocation stress is pretty normal. Once you start to eclipse that point, you will likely need some expert advise. There are plenty on this forum

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
Oh and if you are putting crickets in there make sure they get removed if he doesn’t eat them. Leaving them in there could also be a source of stress. Dubia Roaches are a very good alternative to crickets and can be ordered online. I was skeptical at first but crickets are the devil.

You could also try and maim some of the crickets and offer them like that so he doesn’t have to work for them if he doesn’t have the energy right now

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The T 5 is not as strong as the 10.0 HO --- I thought the fixture came w/ the 10.0 bulb but it was the T 5 so I ordered the Arcadia 10.0 of which I have waiting for when I change out the T 5 thats in there now- I wanted to use the bulb since it came w/ it---
Karrie

Jessg

Original Poster
kmwilson042182":2xg6dgc3 said:
Oh and if you are putting crickets in there make sure they get removed if he doesn’t eat them. Leaving them in there could also be a source of stress. Dubia Roaches are a very good alternative to crickets and can be ordered online. I was skeptical at first but crickets are the devil.

You could also try and maim some of the crickets and offer them like that so he doesn’t have to work for them if he doesn’t have the energy right now
Thank you :), I will figure his lights out and depending what type I will either keep on top. Or hang it inside the cage.
I hate crickets too LOL but will have to start ordering new bugs online.
I will go a couple more days with him, and if he doesn’t get better I know a guy that is really good with reptiles and will take him.

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
Great. Good luck and best wishes for your little one! If you have any more questions don’t hesitate to ask. Everyone on this forum just wants healthy happy lives for all the beardies out there. There is much to be learned from this forum and I still read it everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom