Ventilation/Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
I recently moved my guy into his new 4'x2'x2' enclosure and the ambient temperatures are just a few degrees warmer all around than they were in his previous enclosure with the screen top. Also it is not cooling down at night like I would like it to. All the temperatures are still good, but he has been sulking a little bit, but nothing major or unexpected due to the enclosure change (also note he is a professional manipulator and will sulk at any opportunity if he thinks it will get him and extra treat, window time or a bath....so there is that too). My questions is if it is okay to add a fan to increase the circulation in the new enclosure? And if I do so should I push outside air into the new enclosure or pull air out or even one fan on push and one on pull? Here is some pics of the enclosure.
103523-3805105221.jpg
103523-3602944883.jpg
I just wanted to make sure it is okay to create some circulation in the enclosure before I did so. I purchased a small electronics fan that should do the trick. Thanks!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It is ok but usually unnecessary. I just finished building mine and have two vents on either side of the tank. It looks like you only have one vent opening is this correct?

Problem with one vent is air cant come and go as freely as two vents. Especially if you stagger one to be lower than the other. I didnt stagger them but vents being on opposite sides at least allow for a natural "cross winds" effect where air can come in one end and out the other.

I would see about adding more ventilation before I added a fan. But that's just me 2 cents.

-Brandon

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
There is 2 vents. There is an identical vent in the same position on the other side. The vents run both sides of the enclosure near the top. My main concern is really the cooling down at night. When I woke up this morning his enclosure was still at 77F. During the day it runs 84F on cool side and 89F on warm side with basking area between 105-110. I would like to bring the cool side down to 80F and warm side maybe down a couple degrees too. At night I want to bring the temp down to 70-72F (this is usually the ambient temp in our house). Right now I'm using a 50watt basking bulb to generate all the heat. I suppose another option would be to play around with that bulb and maybe try another. If I was to add a fan (today I have a small electronics fan coming in the mail) and only have the one, would it be better to push outside air in or use it to pull warm air out to create better circulation?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
You can drill a line of 6 to 8, 1/4" to 3/8" holes close to the bottom (in the cool end) and block the bigger one at the top above that, this will create air flow and, aid in cooling at night.

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Gormagon":qzkk4hvv said:
You can drill a line of 6 to 8, 1/4" to 3/8" holes close to the bottom (in the cool end) and block the bigger one at the top above that, this will create air flow and, aid in cooling at night.

Thanks Gormagon! That worked like a champ! Brought all the temps down a couple degrees within a couple hours and now they are holding steady right where I wanted them and more importantly where Murdock seems to like them. He already seems more upbeat about the new enclosure now. No doubt it will cool off better tonight too.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
kmwilson042182":1hgxe96d said:
Gormagon":1hgxe96d said:

Thanks Gormagon! That worked like a champ! Brought all the temps down a couple degrees within a couple hours and now they are holding steady right where I wanted them and more importantly where Murdock seems to like them. He already seems more upbeat about the new enclosure now. No doubt it will cool off better tonight too.
Glad I could help kmwilson, we're always here to help when possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom