Baby Bearded Dragon Color

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiffany30

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've had my Bearded dragon (Cujo) for two weeks. He is a Leatherback but I'm curious about his color and what he'll look like as an adult. Does anyone know what his color is called? Thank you.
103864-2092485139.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi welcome to the forum--- where did you get your little baby from? As babies they will tend to change color-- when I first got Hiccup at 3 months of age he went from black/ grey to an orange citrus tiger-- so its hard to tell for me -- others might be able to give you a better idea --- how big of a tank do you have him/ her in? Can you post pics of his/ her set up w/ the lighting
thanks Karrie

Tiffany30

Original Poster
I got him from Pet Supplies Plus. He is in a 40 gallon Breeder. He's on a diet of Dubia, occasionally Crickets, and salad. He has a basking light along with a ReptiSun 10.0. It's still a work in progress. I want to add a background and fill it with more foliage for hiding. Right now it's pretty bare.
103864-132070869.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The tank looks really good but yes a little bare-- I would look at getting him a hide of some sort --- big log the biggest because he will out grow anything you buy small -- so think big--- eventually you will need a bigger tank but for now he is good -- you will want to upgrade to a 75-120 gallon just keep that in mind--- now the first and foremost the UVB it is crucial to their health and behavior so here is some infor for you --
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5 only needs changed out once a year--- the T 5 is a stronger bulb than a T8-- the T 8 takes a regular fixture --- and needs to be changed out 2 times per year--- they need to be mounted inside the tank --- T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking a T 5 approx 10-11 inches --- this is a must --- for your dragon to be healthy--- the lights they sell in these kits are not good -- your basking lamp is probably ok but you want your temps to be 90-105- maybe a little warmer for your little guy--- most people at these pet stores have not a clue as to what they are talking about and often give bad advice--- please ask more questions we are here to help and I would recommend you getting your UVB changed out as soon as you can---
Karrie

Tiffany30

Original Poster
Thank you. I learned not to listen to the pet store when they couldn't tell me his age. I bought the Mini ReptiSun 10.0 Florescent bulb separate thinking it would be the same as the tube bulb but I'll switch it out. I appreciate the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom