new momma - crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It depends on the size of your tank. Ideally if mounting inside you want the HO to be around 10 inches from the basking surface. Which should put it at an even greater distance to the floor and the rest of the tank.

If this isnt achievable you can keep it on top of the tank instead. It's much more powerful and with that power you dont want it too close.

-Brandon

nikmad39

Original Poster
Sorry if I’m being annoying. Once I think I have it figured out I read something that makes me rethink what I’m doing. It sounds as if my beardie will he too close to the light, even if it is on top of the screen. Is the 10.0 HO too much for him? He’s only a couple inches from the top but I could rearrange his basking spot

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The screen pretty much effectively cuts the uvb in half or a significant amount at least depending on your screen material. If it's sitting on top of the screen, what's the closest he can get to it?

And you're not being annoying! Trust us, we'd rather help someone get set up right right from the beginning than have to help someone rehabilitate a sick dragon!

-Brandon

nikmad39

Original Poster
I’m so sorry for my multiple posts. I didn’t realize there were 2 pages. I thought they weren’t going through. ?‍♀️

I’ll be home in about a half hour and will measure and let you know!

nikmad39

Original Poster
Ok I just realized I should have asked this question. My tank came with the reptisun 10.0 CFL UVB bulb. Can I keep using that one or is the tube better?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would turn it off. The cfl doesn't put ot purport uvb for our dragons plus the CFL is a very glaring light and can hurt their eyes.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is it a double dome that houses your basking bulb and the CFL? Or is it's own separate dome?

If it's a double you really dont need to have another bulb in their worth the basking bulb. If it's a single you can use it for a CHE if you need extra heat at night.

-Brandon

nikmad39

Original Poster
Right now I have a double dome that houses the basking bulb and the CFL. I have a single dome for my CHE at night.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
nikmad39":21c67xu4 said:
Sorry if I’m being annoying. Once I think I have it figured out I read something that makes me rethink what I’m doing. It sounds as if my beardie will he too close to the light, even if it is on top of the screen. Is the 10.0 HO too much for him? He’s only a couple inches from the top but I could rearrange his basking spot
This sounds like being a Beardie parent. Second guessing everything is normal.

It took me a month or so of small changes to the lights before I was confident with my set up. When you can you can upload pictures from your phone here: https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/#new then add then to your post with the XIMG option making a reply. Pics can be helpful.

For example I don't know what you are using for a basking spot. A log or platform? Can it be rotated so you can change the distance between the bulb and the spot? Maybe put the UVB towards the back or front wall and have the basking area on the opposite, at back wall or front wall. That can increase or decrease distance as needed

nikmad39

Original Poster
103853-2018450820.jpg
103853-9370178384.jpg
103853-2018450820.jpg

Ok. I think I did the pics right. The small dome is my CHE but it’s on,y on at night.
The double dome is basking light and the CFL.

He’s about 4.5 inches away from the screen at the highest point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom