Any way to use taller but skinnier enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmcnick

Hello!

So I'm moving into a new apartment. The one I'm looking at is a little tight in square feet so I was wondering if it's at all feasible to get a taller enclosure but skinnier. Currently I have a vision cage which is about 36 x 24 x 28. Is there any way this would make sense to do? Would it be too difficult to set up lighting for and provide the essential heat gradient? I'm thinking maybe 24" - 30" for width- if this would work what would the recommended height/depth be? My bearded dragon is about 16" so a little smaller than most. He's an adult though at 5 years old.

Thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You dont want to go smaller than a 40 gallon tank and they say you need the length -- not taller as they need the floor space- I am terrible on dimensions ---I am more of a visual person - better person to weigh in on this subject would be Cooperdragon - or Gormagon or one of the other more experienced people--
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
24 inches long really is too small imo. 36 should be the minimum for an adult. 48 is better but that's obviously not something everyone can manage. They do need the floor space more so than the height.

-Brandon

budzoboy

I have my JoJo in a 36 x 18 x 36 tank and she does quite well
took off the top screen and installed lights with wooden slats!
97446-2729679030.jpg

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Yes, you "could" go higher but, you gain nothing. However, you will lose the ability to maintain a proper heat gradient, the way that you do now. As physics tells us all, Heat Rises. With that taken into consideration, it could possibly get colder than what your dragon is used to on the floor of the viv.

Floor space is critical for dragons as well as climbing areas but, you don't want them to tall because they (I think) have very poor depth perception and, can misjudge distance very easily. The climbing areas should be no more than 12" from the floor for this reason. Broken limbs and backs are common injuries caused by tall climbing areas. I am sure you don't want this to happen to your dragon, heck, I don't even know your dragon and, I don't want it to happen to him either.

If at all possible stick to what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom