new momma - crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikmad39

Hi Again-
Ok so my baby (2 months) will eat crickets but I have 2 issues

1. He won't chase them. I have to guide the cricket over to him and then he will eat it. Is that normal? Will he learn to chase them more aggressively as he gets older?

2. I can't seem to keep the crickets alive for more than a few days. Any tips?

TIA

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Tia,

Crickets need to be kept warm. I'd suggest watching a few YouTube videos on keeping crickets. Should help you lots.

How long have you had your guy?
Can you go over your setup with us? Pics would be nice.
Namely we are after what your basking surface temp is, and what type of uvb bulb you're using. Lighting and temps play a massive role in basically every aspect of your dragons health.

-Brandon

nikmad39

Original Poster
My tank set up is ok I think. I can’t get a pic right now. I have a CHE for night and basking gets up to around 100. I have a uvb light also but switching it to a reptisun 10.0 as soon as I can figure out a fixture.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
100 is a bit low for a baby. Ideally you want your basking SURFACE to be around 105-110. What are you using to measure temperatures?

Good that you are getting the reptisun 10.0. Are you getting the regular t8 version or the t5 HO version? a t8 fixture can be found very readily at home depot or amazon. A t5 can be found on amazon too for decent prices.

-Brandon

nikmad39

Original Poster
Well that’s my problem. I can’t figure out if it should go on top of the tank or inside. What goes with what. lol I’m totally confused. And how do I know if a fixture will for that bulb ?‍♀️

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Both of your questions depend on if you're going to be getting the normal reptisun 10.0 tube, or the reptisun 10.0 HO. If you tell me I can help answer your questions :mrgreen:

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The only difference between the two is the HO (which stands for high output is a stronger bulb that puts out stronger uvb. If you have the choice we usually recommend that one. It's a T5 sized bulb so the easiest way to find a fixture for it (IMO) is to search up t5 grow lights on amazon. They usually come with a bulb themselves but you can toss the bulb it comes with and put your reptisun in it. I mention grow lights only because those are usually t5s and marketed as HO fixtures.

If you go with the reptisun HO, you are fine mounting it ontop of your screen. Or if you mount it inside, just keep it 10 inches or so away from the basking area.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I dont believe the reptisun HO comes in 18. I thought only 12 22 34 and 46.

I would go with the 22in though.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
nikmad39":2m9upoe6 said:
May I ask what you have?

I use the reptisun 10.0 HO 22inch. Same one I recommend you :)
Mine is mounted in the enclosure but it's a customer built wooden enclosure so I was able to just drill two brackets into the inside top of my enclosure to hold the bulb.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can! Just be aware the uvb will slowly degrade the plastic in the zip ties so it would be good practice to replace the zip ties every once in awhile. Just to prevent an accident from happening :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom