BEARDIE hasn’t eaten in 3 weeks, still active but sick

Status
Not open for further replies.
My BEARDIE has been sick for about 3 weeks, it all started when she threw up after I had fed her arugula. I figured that was the cause and that she would get passed it and start eating again. She hasn’t. I’ve tried to feed her all her favorite things and she just walks away or turns her head (like get that gross food away from me)
I’m not sure what to do and the vet here costs 200+ dollars and last visit I had they told me she was just acting up for attention. She fine and runs around still but randomly she will get really sick and lathargic and her beard turns black. Her body turns pale I’ve given her many baths and she’s pooped at least a little everytime. I don’t know what to do at this point. Force feed??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Let me ask what kind of UVB do you have? If it is a coil its not good--- here is some info on that
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months The T 5's need to be replaced once a year--
My guess its the UVB--- it should be mounted in the tank for a T 8 bulb approx 6-8 inches from his / her basking spot-- for the T 5 bulb it can go on top of the tank if its a wide screen if its fine mesh it needs to go inside approx 10-11 inches from his / her basking spot-- the UVB plays a crucial part in their health and behavior---
Karrie

Kiahmackley

Original Poster
KarrieRee":sbajqle0 said:
Let me ask what kind of UVB do you have? If it is a coil its not good--- here is some info on that
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months The T 5's need to be replaced once a year--
My guess its the UVB--- it should be mounted in the tank for a T 8 bulb approx 6-8 inches from his / her basking spot-- for the T 5 bulb it can go on top of the tank if its a wide screen if its fine mesh it needs to go inside approx 10-11 inches from his / her basking spot-- the UVB plays a crucial part in their health and behavior---
Karrie

It is a coil, I believe.. i will attach a photo of the lights. I just bought a new one and I replace them every 3 months... I guess a little more often than j should but I just get worried.
It’s about 6 inches above the basking spot
It is a reptisun 10.0 and cost me quite a bit of money so I assumed it was the best you could get.
I also have a ceramic heater and a basking lamp.
The temp in the tank always sits at 80-85 but I’m not sure what the exact temp for her basking spot is. She is looking pale today. Not much of a black beard, still active. And it’s not the gray shedding kind of pale. It’s a warm pale. Like yellow almost.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It is a coil Reptisun 10? It is not any good -- you want a tube like what I had posted in one of my post-- Even the Reptisun 10 coil is no good --- you need to get a accurate basking temp-- do you have a Infrared heat gun? those are the best ways to get a basking temp--- you can get them from Walmart Home Depot Lowes for around $10-- I would look at replacing the coil UVB w/ a tube UVB--
Karrie

Kiahmackley

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2zwovxxd said:
It is a coil Reptisun 10? It is not any good -- you want a tube like what I had posted in one of my post-- Even the Reptisun 10 coil is no good --- you need to get a accurate basking temp-- do you have a Infrared heat gun? those are the best ways to get a basking temp--- you can get them from Walmart Home Depot Lowes for around $10-- I would look at replacing the coil UVB w/ a tube UVB--
Karrie
Okay. I’m going to go back and return this light and get a new one right now. Thank you. You have no idea how worried I am. I’ve had her for a year now and she’s been fine up until these last couple weeks.
103843-9647725187.jpg
103843-5745571200.jpg
103843-41005509.jpg

Kiahmackley

Original Poster
103843-582625769.jpg
KarrieRee":3w296czo said:
Karrie

I just searched through the trash and found the box
Eco terra brand. 26W “desert uvb”

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Coils, no matter the brand, aren't really suited for dragons. Getting the reptisun 10.0 tube or Arcadia 12% is still your best bet.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You will need a light fixture --- the Reptisun 10.0 T8 will take a reg light fixture however its not as strong as the T 5 which requires a T 5 light fixture they are more flat -- they are also a stronger bulb -- when you get the UVB it goes inside the tank 6-8 for a T 8 --10-11 for the T 5 --please take the cover off the light bulb it is better for the UVB effect--
Karrie

Kiahmackley

Original Poster
claudiusx":2qqpz6v6 said:
Coils, no matter the brand, aren't really suited for dragons. Getting the reptisun 10.0 tube or Arcadia 12% is still your best bet.

-Brandon
That sucks that stores still sell them and recommend them for beardies. I’m so sad. I feel terrible for lettting her sit under the wrong light her whole life.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
They all sell them and people don't realize they have gotten something no good till their beardies- are sick
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Don't beat yourself up it happens way more often than you'd think. While the compact bulbs might work for other herps (honestly I really only know dragons and a few other lizards) they definitely don't for our dragons.

-Brandon

Kiahmackley

Original Poster
claudiusx":164l6709 said:
Don't beat yourself up it happens way more often than you'd think. While the compact bulbs might work for other herps (honestly I really only know dragons and a few other lizards) they definitely don't for our dragons.

-Brandon
She died this morning. Last night she just fell over and her beard turned black. I held her for a couple hours then she slept for a little. I kept waking up to check on her and around 6 am she wasn’t alive anymore. I’m so heartbroken and I don’t know if it was because of the continued use of the light. Or maybe it was something else causing her grief. I’m feel sick.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am so sorry---- I feel heart broken as well --- it is hard to say what caused it -- she didnt look like she was under weight from the pictures-- the only way to know for sure is to have a necropsy I think they call it --- do you know how old she was? I know we lost our first beardie who we got from the high school last March- we had her for approx 4 years and she just quit eating I thought she was going into brumation but it was spring - her beard went black one morning she went to the corner of her tank and died --we think she was around 13 years old-- we were all in shock-- they say they are prone to have heart failure -- or so I have heard-- again I am so sorry for your loss--- it will take some time if you were really attached to her--- it was 6 weeks before we got another one--- it was very hard for me to look at Troggys tank that sat in my office every day w/ the lights off --- I now am more aware of the husbandry and things to notice w/ them as they can just go all of a sudden --- but the ones that really show a sign of illness sometimes is too late-- w/ her it was odd other than the black bearding-- that is a sign of distress --
Karrie :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom