UV lighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emjay22

I got Tavia about six/seven months ago,and she’s been growing fine, eating fine, and she’s overall a strong, healthy lizard. But I’ve been reading on here a bit and I’ve noticed everyone saying compact UV bulbs aren’t good, and that’s the kind I use. Should I switch it, or keep it how it is because she’s doing well?

the type of bulb I use is a Reptisun 10.0 UVB compact. I have a two fixture hood and I have one bulb in each hood to help make the whole Viv have uv in it. I know that’s kind of weird but it made sense at the time :S

Thanks!

Em :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Here is some info on the UVB bulb --Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T 5 needs to be changed out once a year-- depending on the screen mesh of your tank if its a fine mesh the UVB should be inside the tank -- for the T 5 10-11 inches from basking- a T 8 6-8 inches -- that takes a regular hood fixture - both the covers over the bulb should be off just the bulb showing- if its a wide screen hole the T 5 can go on top but the T 8 should be inside --- it is not as strong a bulb as the T 5--
Karrie

Emjay22

Original Poster
Thanks for the fast reply! So what I took from that is that even though it is a reptisun bulb it has a different wavelength of something or other so it should be replaced? Here’s the packaging for it just to be sure
98067-5281457994.jpg
98067-5832653847.jpg
And here’s tavia, does she look healthy? I think she does but what do I know :p
Thanks again!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes that coil is no good --- I would be changing it out w/ the tube--- she looks ok fat pads on her arms and legs look good --- but you do want the better UVB to prevent problems down the road-- it is crucial to her all around health and behavior-- you will notice a difference in her behavior as well as color --
Karrie

Emjay22

Original Poster
Thanks! I’ll start saving up to get one, the actual lighting fixture is $100+ where I live so she might have to wait another two weeks until I get paid (working part time at a library doesn’t pay the best :p) but I’ll get it sometime this month. Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)

Emjay22

Original Poster
Thank you so much! I’ll go to Home Depot today and pick that up and I’ll order the light.
Thank you again!!!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Emjay22":1y1h14aq said:
Thank you so much! I’ll go to Home Depot today and pick that up and I’ll order the light.
Thank you again!!!

Make sure you remove that plastic cover so that the uvb light is unobstructed :D
And if that's the fixture you get make sure you get the t8 reptisun, not the t5 HO reptisun.

-Brandon

Emjay22

Original Poster
claudiusx":95fdoeub said:
Emjay22":95fdoeub said:
Thank you again!!!

Make sure you remove that plastic cover so that the uvb light is unobstructed :D
And if that's the fixture you get make sure you get the t8 reptisun, not the t5 HO reptisun.

-Brandon

I’ll make sure to do that when I get it. Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom