HELP high calcium in bloodwork

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyTurner

Original Poster
When she could climb a few weeks ago, she could get on top of her log and get within 5”. Now she can only crawl onto her basking rock which is 10” below. I feel horrible, because, yes, the light sat on the screen.;(
I will look for those today in Austin and if I can’t find it, I will order off the internet. I paid $69 for the MVB she has now... thought I was buying the best for her.
NO MORE Metacam. Today she will get Baytril and her Allopurinol. If she got her first dose of Baytril at 5 pm yesterday, should I wait until then to give her second dose?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's hard to say 100% for sure what the lump is but it does look like the lumps caused by MBD which can develop very quickly. How long has she had it ?

And the Powersun should have been effective through the screen at 5", sometimes being sick [ like with gout ] can contribute to other problems + deficiencies. Don't blame yourself, you're actually doing a great job caring for her and this may also be a hurtle that she can get over.

Can you cut a hole in the screen or take the screen off + use something like I have over this baby raising tank ? The large holes in this wire fencing allows all the uvb through. Of course if you have cats you'll have to keep them out of the room 100 % of the time.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29889/full

RockyTurner

Original Poster
Thank you. I swear that I try. I just finished getting our 3 1/2 year old rat through an upper respitory, have been giving an old cat with final stage kidney failure sub Q fluids for a little over a month, force feeding a 6 year old toad who can not use his tongue properly since hatching..... so I promise that I always try to do the best by these babies. I thank you so much for your help and kind words.
That bump was not there, at least not so prevalent if it was, until yesterday afternoon when she was dragging her back legs, then started straining, pooing just juice. She fell over and her beard did turn black... all she wanted was for me to hold her. This is of course when I begged to be worked in at my rep vet.
I want to add that her back has always been a little arched, different than our boy’s. And sometime when her feet have extra swelling, she seems to be swollen and sore up by her shoulders... attributed this to the gout.
I already moved the mesh top over and used a screw to attach the light at a good height. She has been under it all morning. The larger wire it a great idea. We have different kinds of fencing wire. The no climb horse wire is probably a 2x3 square. Our cats cold not get in.
I did ask if the blood work was sent in and he said that he felt the information he got from the panel in-house and the smear was sufficient.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, you really have your hands full with all these special needs creatures, I have never heard of force or assist feeding a toad ! I know it must be wearing you down, I really hope you see some bright spots in this difficult time with your pets.

RockyTurner

Original Poster
It actually makes me feel like I have a great purpose (I didn’t even mention the duck hatched without eyeballs?)
Roxy is my snuggle buddy comforter. She makes me feel so loved that she blesses me. I have to get her through this rough time.
She got her second dose of Baytril. I gave her doses of her slurry all throughout the day (until she would get mad) she is peacefully sunbathing on her rock right now. I will post updates. Thank you again so much for your help!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Shann,

I am happy you are going to be getting a T5 tube in addition to your Powersun. Just use your
Powersun MVB for a basking light, along with the T5 for a great UVB & heating combination.
I think you will find that it should help greatly.
It could be metabolic bone related but at the moment the x-rays looked fine. Malabsorption
of calcium can be caused by secondary health problems such as gout, which just overall
complicates everything in general making it very difficult to coordinate it all for optimal health
conditions.
Let us know how Roxy is doing.

Tracie

RockyTurner

Original Poster
Phoenix worms came and Roxy ate 11*****? they are the large ones which still are not large, but she happily ate them!!!!
Date night will be at the pet store buying the t5’s?

RockyTurner

Original Poster
Update on Roxy....
I just wanted to let everyone who was so kind to help me with my girl, know how she is doing.
She is still taking her Allopurinol everyday. Her diet is Phoenix worms and Hornworms- her veggies are offered everyday, she has not returned to eating them though- so she is still being given her Critical Care/Grass Trio slurries.
She gets warm soaks a couple of times a day. She now has her MVB and T5 lights. Roxy is still not using her hind legs, but she can pull them up to her body now, so I am just hoping this is a “better with time” situation.
She is loving, happy, alert, just in need of a lot more supervision right now.
Thank you again for all of your help and support.?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's good to hear that Roxy is still holding her own and even doing a little better. Thanks for the update ! I hope that she can slowly get even better yet. :)

RockyTurner

Original Poster
So I took Roxy in to re-check her bloodwork this week. The results are better.
The good news... the antibiotics I gave her took care of the septice in her blood which made her so sick.? and Gout seems to be in check.
Her calcium is the same. I have not used calcium powder since January. I just use the Phoenix Worms for calcium and she only gets 6 or 7 a day.?.?
Some of the other numbers were too high too low, but nothing alarming according to the vet.
She is happy and alert. She still does not use her back legs for walking, and her tail stays down and stiff. I am hoping that this is from that lower spine injury when she was straining back in January. She is able to pull her legs up to her body, still not quickly, but I at least I know they are not paralyzed.
So I am loving her like crazy, and just hoping she gets better with time?
I will post a picture of the bloodwork results.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Shann,

Thanks for posting the blood test results, they are better! The uric acid levels are lower & it looks
like the liver is functioning better also.
I'm happy that you are enjoying her so much & that she is a happy girl. :D

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom