Expert view on vitamin dosing/overdosing

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
You're welcome ! I just passed on the info , the one who gets all credit is Allen Repashy for the article. :)

Mikeed

Perhaps these is a silly question, but what volume constitutes a dusting?

When I originally picked up our beardie Spyro I was told by the pet shop pinch of Caci dust or Vits into the crickets tub (tub 50 - 100 Crickets) give it a shake and feed. but in that tub is also the bug grub, it does not seem a very efficient way of dusting, would there even be enough on the crickets from just a pinch?!

Iwould love to know how others apply there "dustings"

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
I know that's a good question. :) With the calcium there is no real definite answer but just do so lightly and more often as babies [ every bug meal ] than for sub adults + adults. It's a bit of a guesstimate with every dragon, esp. since some dragons eat more insects than others and then there's calcium WITh D3 and without. I alternate those with my babies [ when I had babies ] and as they got near adulthood I only dusted every 3-4 times a week. As adults, 2-3 times a week. This seems to work for me.

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Hello! Great article!!!

Just a question. If I have the powersun uv mercury vapor heat bulb, should I be dusting with a calcium powder that has D3? I’ve been dusting with this every feeding. I don’t want to poison him.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What distance is your powersun to the basking site? Probably still best to use calc + d3 IMO.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Distance of the bulb is important as Claudius mentioned. I would still only lightly use the cal. w/D3 1-2 X a week and the plain calcium 2 X a week.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
That's pretty far away, is it a 100 or 160 watts ? The 100 can be as close as 13", the 160 about 16" away. Is the Reptisun tube a t8 or t5 ? Can you mount it at least 12-13" away ?

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
It’s the 160 watts. It gets pretty hot in his basking spot, sometimes up to 109. I’m getting a new fixture and my husband is going to have to mount the uvb tube closer. It’s an aquarium tank with glass all around so it’s difficult to put the tube light closer. I currently have it sitting on the rim of the tank.

106536-3291480174.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Oh, O.K. So you'll be getting a new set up in the future ? The way you have it now should be fine until then. How big is your dragon BTW ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom