Baby Beardie on Craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.

maiba

Original Poster
She’s worse than I thought. Just picked her up. She definitely has a respiratory infection and progressed mbd. We’re taking her straight to the vet
102367-7236179923.jpg
102367-1548178108.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I was afraid of that. They are often in worse condition when you see them in person. Hopefully the vet can help get her hydrated and get her on the road to recovery.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Poor thing! I am so glad you rescued him/her. Looking forward to seeing plump beardie pancake pics in 6 months!

maiba

Original Poster
She’s doing this thing where she is putting her head back as far as it goes and anytime I try to readjust her she goes back to the same position. Does anyone know what this is? What can I do??

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Stargazing. Possibly related to atadenovirus. Probably worth testing for at the vet visit. Focus on the basics for now though. Hydration, sunlight, heat, etc. Go easy on solid food (especially protein) for a while. If she drinks and holds down water, that's a good sign and a place to start.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I see that I was typing at the same time as Cooperdragon. That is a neorological condition either from severe calcium deficiency [ because calcium affects ALL body function including the nervous system] or it could be " stargazing " which is a symptom of the deadly Atadenovirus . Is your vet experienced with beardies ? That is a MUST or they can do more damage than good. Poor little babe. :(

Well, keep the uvb close to her , she needs every advantage she can get. Use a short [ as opposed to tall ] plastic tote if you need to in order to place the uvb right over top of her. Here's an example of one that's about 14" tall that I used to raise babies in. :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29953/full

If it's warm + sunny, take her outside, that's the best uvb. Be very gentle with everything you do. Offer water dripped on her snout. Get some Repashy grub pie + add a pinch of calcium powder to it after you follow the package directions for preparing it.

maiba

Original Poster
Would it be better for me to use the 10 gallon tank she comes with temporarily just so she can have the heat and uvb closer to her? Or should I keep her in the 29 gallon and mount lights on the inside? She is fairly mobile though. Definitely does not have full mobility anymore but she can get around

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good that she can get around ! Have you offered her a drink via syringe or anything ?

Is the 29 gal. a long or a tall ? If it's long then the height will not be a problem but if it's tall then you'll have to attach the uvb underneath right away. Otherwise you should get a plastic tote that is no more than 14" tall from Walmart , Dollar store or Home Depot . They are only about $8 . A 10 gallon tank is a bit too small for a heat gradient.

maiba

Original Poster
It’s tall. I’ll find something the hang it inside her cage as soon as we get home. I didn’t want her to have to go back in that 10 gallon anyways

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor thing. I would be led to think the arching backwards is MBD related but it won't hurt to test for adenovirus if that's an option at your vet. She very obviously has about as sever a case of MBD as you can get. Not to mention she is basically starved to death too. Definitely make sure you go slow on the feedings.
Much worse than I thought :(

But this is her best chance at survival and we are all here to help you and her with that.

Good

maiba

Original Poster
At the vet right now. After inspecting her (Fiona is her name now) they told us she was seriously deprived of calcium and that the MBD was also pretty severe (she said she pushed a little on her snout and it felt like rubber). Today they’re giving Fiona a calcium injection, and they are giving her viatamind as well as rehydrating her. Next step is to take her hone once they’re done and support her as much as we can.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank goodness you got her in--- w/ the help of everyone here on this board maybe she can recover and grow to be a normal dragon-- did you find out how old she was?
Karrie

maiba

Original Poster
Just got her home in her cage and got her lights set up. The vet gave me liquid calcium to give her once a day and a multivitamin injection that I will have to give her every 3 days. She seemed really eager to start basking when we put her in there so we’re hoping for the best. Thank you all so much, I couldn’t have done this without you
102367-2344103102.jpg
102367-856618211.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
So far so good ! And although it's pretty bad, I've seen much, much worse cases. Beardies with half formed jaws, huge hunchbacks and legs that don't work at all. This little one has a chance. :)

How close is the uvb bulb, I can't see from the picture .?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom