Beardie body temp regulation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello :) so I recently read on another website that if your bearded dragon doesn't bask with their mouth open their temp inside the tank isn't warm enough. I'd like to know if this is true? For some reason I thought that meant they're TOO hot so they open their mouths to cool their body down. SO CONFUSED!! Also, I just got my scaly love a T5 10.0 HO fluorescent 3 days ago. After setting the light up, Drogon started hiding under his hammock ALL DAY, so I finally just took the hammock out so he could get his UVB, which means now he has nowhere in his tank to hide... is this bad?? And It seems like if his temp on the hot side is over 100° he FREAKS out and glass surfs like crazy. His temp on the cool side is usually about 82°. He's 93 grams and 12" long, and I'm not sure exactly how old he (or could be a she) is.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Where did you put the T5? Is it inside the tank? If so how far away is the basking spot--- And no they dont usually bask w/ their mouth open however that is a way for them to adjust their body temp-- so if hes doing that that is what hes doing is adjusting his body temp---
Karrie

advannoy13

Original Poster
The T5 is about 6" away from his rock he likes to bask on and about 12" from the bottom of the tank where he also basks sometimes. It's positioned on the very top of his 40 gal. I have only seen him with his mouth open a couple times, so I'm wondering if I don't have the tank warm enough? Or could it be that my baby just likes cooler temps?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am wondering if that T 5 is too close at 6 "-- I have mine at 15 " from basking spot-- it won't be eliminating heat tho but the UVB that close may be too strong-- does he do that only at top or on bottom too?
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Not true :)
Although that is how they can help regulate their body temperature, it is not a sign of proper temperatures.

As long as you are measuring with an accurate device and not a dial thermometer, you're golden.

-Brandon

advannoy13

Original Poster
UPDATE!

Today Drogon seems way more happy! :)

His color is lighter, he's not glass surfing (unless he wants to be held, and he let me pick him right up out of his tank), and he actually ate this evening!!! I'm so relieved, thank you all for your advice, I feel like joining this forum was one of the best things I could've done for my scaley love. I'm still keeping a close watch, but seeing Drogon act like this has been so fun and exciting! I finally feel like I'm doing something right. I'm so happy I have somewhere to go with all my questions. Thank you again, and I'll definitely be posting more about our journey together, and I'm sure I'll have more questions at some point!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom