Garris Behavior Check!

Status
Not open for further replies.

injurys

Ok, I received my beardie from my friends and she has moments where it’s on and off low activity. I’m assuming it’s like having something to do with brumation. It occurs more often with lower temperatures outside. I have to fight to temp regulate her terrarium and my bedroom.

Right now, I believe she is about to shed. Patches of her scales are dull colored. There’s like no indication she’s ready yet, but I think she’s having difficulties o __o; there’s plenty of surfaces for her to scratch on, but the areas are on top of he me head and her leg. She’s pretty healthy size too so I’m not too worried that it’s a concerning health issue. I changed her diet and I’m incorporating more vitamin B... but like. Idk. She’s also been glass surfing a LOT and it’s concerning me. Her beard grows black when it happens. I don’t think there’s any like... environmental issues. Idk. Any input would be great to ease my worries. Thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post pics of her tank and lighting -- her glass surfing could have something to do w/ the lighting -- we need to rule that out first --- what size tank do you have her in?
Karrie

injurys

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1ja8qb56 said:
Please post pics of her tank and lighting -- her glass surfing could have something to do w/ the lighting -- we need to rule that out first --- what size tank do you have her in?
Karrie
she’s in a 40 gallon tank
image0.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would change out that lighting. For basking, go with something bright white. I like using PAR38 halogen flood lights from the hardware store, but those are getting harder to find. As far as the reptile store ones go, avoid neodymium coatings. The ZooMed Repti Basking Spot light is decent but they don't last very long so get a few to have on hand for sudden burn outs. The wattage you use depends on the surface temperature readings so you may need to try a few out before you have it just right.

For UVB, go with a 24'' T5 fixture and (22'') bulb. This is what I use and it's excellent. http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok the tank looks very nice but the UVB you have in the tank is it a coil? If it is here is some info about that subject
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months.
**Note: Fluorescent light bulbs contain mercury, so you shouldn't throw away your used ReptiSuns. Take them to a facility that will dispose of them for you. Some hardware stores such as Home Depot may take your used bulbs for you.
This could be the reason for the surfing--- the screen looks like fine mesh so w/ that being said the UVB would need to go inside the tank -- if you decide to get the T5 mounted inside approx 10-11 inches from basking area-- the T8 approx 6-8 inches from basking area--
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom