My bearded dragon is showing signs of MBD, what can i do?

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

My bearded dragon is showing signs of MBD, what can i do?

Postby pokipokireptileclub » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:43 am

Lucky Star (our rescue bearded) has had a shaky head since the 13th. After some research I've decided to give her a oral shot of calcium mixed with water twice a day at 12. Within the week the shaking has calmed down but it's still there, what else can I do for her? If it helps she is around 2.5 years old weighs 295g (was 220g when we got her almost a couple moths ago) and has a 100w Arcadia mercury vapor bulb.
pokipokireptileclub
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: My bearded dragon is showing signs of MBD, what can i do

Postby KarrieRee » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:33 am

What about a UVB? The arcadia bulb is that a basking bulb?
Please post pics of the tank and lighting-- why do you think she has MBD?
Karrie
KarrieRee
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby pokipokireptileclub » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:52 am

Hey,
The Mercury Vapour Bulb is both a UVB and UVA.
We believe she has MBD as recently she's come out of variations which means she hasn't eaten much at all for a while, and she's had a shaky head everytime she moves it. We know she is digesting the calcium shots and calcium dusted food, so the UVB and uva bulb is working fine.
Regards :)
pokipokireptileclub
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:10 am

The UVB needs to be a Reptison 10.0 T 5 or a T 8-- the T 5 is the best and is what is recommended by most on this board-- they need to be mounted inside the tank depending on the screen mesh - if it's a fine mesh inside if it's a wide mesh it can go on top--- the screen filters out the UVB rays-- there is also calcium stuff you can give as well but I am not sure what that is-- Tracie drache613 our vet moderator or AHBD can help w/ that -- but I would work on getting that UVB changed out-- you can also get a Arcadia 10.0 T 5 bulb as well -- the T 5's are a stronger bulb and can go a year before being changed out--- the T 8 needs to be changed out every six months--- the T 5's need a different light fixture from the T 8's
Karrie
KarrieRee
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:28 am

The 100w Arcadia is a good bulb, but based on test results I've seen, it isn't that powerful. I agree that especially in this case you may want to supplement the UVB with a 24'' T5 tube about 12'' above the main basking area. The MVB can still be used for basking if it's producing adequate heat though.
CooperDragon

Postby pokipokireptileclub » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:49 am

Thanks for all the advice, the bulb has been placed inside the viv now to increase the power of the uvb, as I'm currently tight on money I don't foresee myself getting a tube uvb all too soon but I'll keep it in mind for the future. When the sun is out I take her outside for half hour or so as I've also read this helps but is there anything else inexpensive like this that I can do right now?
pokipokireptileclub
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:02 pm

The direct sunlight is great but yes you will need to replace the UVB-- You can get a T8 fixture from home Depot for like $12--- it's called a under cabinet light fixture- then just get the Reptison 10.0 T8 bulb from the cheapest place you can find it--- Google that bulb see what you can find--
Karrie
KarrieRee
Gray-bearded Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Beardie ER