My bearded dragon is showing signs of MBD, what can i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lucky Star (our rescue bearded) has had a shaky head since the 13th. After some research I've decided to give her a oral shot of calcium mixed with water twice a day at 12. Within the week the shaking has calmed down but it's still there, what else can I do for her? If it helps she is around 2.5 years old weighs 295g (was 220g when we got her almost a couple moths ago) and has a 100w Arcadia mercury vapor bulb.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What about a UVB? The arcadia bulb is that a basking bulb?
Please post pics of the tank and lighting-- why do you think she has MBD?
Karrie

pokipokireptileclub

Original Poster
Hey,
The Mercury Vapour Bulb is both a UVB and UVA.
We believe she has MBD as recently she's come out of variations which means she hasn't eaten much at all for a while, and she's had a shaky head everytime she moves it. We know she is digesting the calcium shots and calcium dusted food, so the UVB and uva bulb is working fine.
Regards :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The UVB needs to be a Reptison 10.0 T 5 or a T 8-- the T 5 is the best and is what is recommended by most on this board-- they need to be mounted inside the tank depending on the screen mesh - if it's a fine mesh inside if it's a wide mesh it can go on top--- the screen filters out the UVB rays-- there is also calcium stuff you can give as well but I am not sure what that is-- Tracie drache613 our vet moderator or AHBD can help w/ that -- but I would work on getting that UVB changed out-- you can also get a Arcadia 10.0 T 5 bulb as well -- the T 5's are a stronger bulb and can go a year before being changed out--- the T 8 needs to be changed out every six months--- the T 5's need a different light fixture from the T 8's
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The 100w Arcadia is a good bulb, but based on test results I've seen, it isn't that powerful. I agree that especially in this case you may want to supplement the UVB with a 24'' T5 tube about 12'' above the main basking area. The MVB can still be used for basking if it's producing adequate heat though.

pokipokireptileclub

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice, the bulb has been placed inside the viv now to increase the power of the uvb, as I'm currently tight on money I don't foresee myself getting a tube uvb all too soon but I'll keep it in mind for the future. When the sun is out I take her outside for half hour or so as I've also read this helps but is there anything else inexpensive like this that I can do right now?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The direct sunlight is great but yes you will need to replace the UVB-- You can get a T8 fixture from home Depot for like $12--- it's called a under cabinet light fixture- then just get the Reptison 10.0 T8 bulb from the cheapest place you can find it--- Google that bulb see what you can find--
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom