Big lump or knot on my bearded dragons (raina) front arm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone I could really use some opinions and advice. 8 noticed a big lump on rainas left arm. Shes not really likping but shes also not moving around alot. I've only had her and her brother for a couple weeks now. Even tho they are the same age around 5 months she is half his size. She stays dark grey and I have to put her food right in front of her to get her to eat more she doesn't move near as much as her brother and I am really worried theres something seriously wro g with her. I have them in a 40 gallon reptile tank with a reptisun 10.0, 100 watt baking light and heat emitting bulb for extra warmth during g the say and heat at night. I also use the calcium sand a d feed the greens and other veggies as well at crickets and dubia roaches and the occasional meal worm. But I. Afraid shes sick and now possibly has a broken arm (likely to geing in poor health) but idk what to do. Really cant effort a vet bill with xrays right now but I really want to get her as healthy as her brother but I'm worried she will never be. Now she has that lump and horror stories online have me scared it's an infection or gout. So my questions are.

Is there any way to tell if it's broken or something else?
Is there any chance I'm over reacting?
If it is broken what can I do to help her recover?
If anyone is from the Atlanta ga area do you know any decent reptile vets that are affordable or willing to work with u and let you pay payments?

Any and all suggestions andvopinuo s are welcome....
Help please!!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That does look like an infection or possibly gout. I know you mentioned not being able to afford a vet, but perhaps you can call ahead to get pricing for an exam and culture test and work out a payment plan with them. I'd have the vet take a sample from the area and grow a culture to check for bacterial infection as well as check for uric acid crystals which may indicate gout. Both can be treated but require testing and confirmation. Neither test or meds should be insanely expensive, but it varies a lot depending on where you are.

madisonbrookesibert

Original Poster
Thanks for responding I took him to the vet and he had metabolic bone disease. They gave him calcium and gave me some to give him. The knot was a broken bone from MBD. Unfortunately he still wasnt moving very good yet and when i woke up this morning turned on there lights and went to give him his medicine he had a huge hole eaten out of his side. I fed them both crickets and dubia roaches and there was a couple of each in the tank that hide in tree branch. Anyways one of them or both had started eating him and he was too weak still and hurt to get away from them so I had to take him and have him put down. So a bit of advice to anyone with a very sick lizard be very cautious of feeding them crickets and dubia roaches. If your lizard is very sick like mine they can and will eat on your lizard. The pics of him are too gruesome and sad to share. But be very cautious.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is horrible! The damage was that extensive to have him put down? :cry:
I am sorry to hear that.
Unfortunately, crickets are extremely carnivorous & do a great job of hiding. They cause
countless injuries to beloved dragons & other reptiles if left in tanks on accident.
I am so sorry for your loss.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom