Forcing Leash

Status
Not open for further replies.

xAnaBooo

Hatchling Member
Hi!! my beardie has gotten super restless and i know he wants to come out yet hasnt been able to because i dont trust him to trust me yet. he might run off and get scared even if he wants to come out super badly, since he jumped off my arm and was too scared to come back once.

lately he's been scratching at the walls and the door and its super sunny and warm and i wanna take him outside but the process of doing so may be kind of hard! i have a leash for him but he doesnt enjoy when i try to put him on it and i know he would enjoy it outside, it would only be the process thats difficult.

is it bad to force your dragon / hold them just to put the leash on / get them in an area he can run around? he seems to always enjoy doing his own thing and i wish i could take him out just to chill with me but he has a lot of energy and he's still small (8 months). he seems to do things on his own terms and that worries me in terms of taking him out.

but i know for sure he wants out. husbandry is good and everything.

Foxxy76

This is my beardie's old leash. He didn't like it very much but it was able to "grow" with him to a point.

full

This is his new leash which he likes a lot better. I think it doesn't feel as restrictive to him and fits his body better. Since he's full grown now I don't have to worry about re-sizing the leash. He's 21.5 inch and around 725 grams.

full

I got these leashes on amazon. I'm actually using the rope leash for training our new beardie. Once he gets bigger (close to a year) I'll upgrade him to one with wings too. :)

xAnaBooo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thats really cool!! how did you get the leash to grow on him? he doesnt even know what it is yet

Foxxy76

What I meant by the rope leash growing with him is that the rope leash is more adjustable. I can use it on a 6 month beardie or adjust it to hold a full grown beardie. Lazy (the bigger one) now has a new lead that he likes better (the one with wings).
Time and patience. Getting them to accept it can be difficult at first. What I mean by training them is basically just get them used to having it on and walking in it. At first I just put it one them and let them hang out in it in the house or while I'm holding them. I might give them a little treat too so they begin to associate getting their leash on and getting a treat. After doing this for awhile we do short trips outside next and gradually do longer and longer trips out. I hold them for the first few trips and then introduce them to the ground for a bit. They usually don't "walk" like you would a dog but instead just enjoy laying out in the sun. Occasionally one might sprint off though! That's why I like the leash!
The new one I got for Lazy is easier to put on as it just goes around his legs then I tighten the wings down with a button on the back. The other one I have to put the loops over their head and then again over their arms. They don't like all the hassle. I wouldn't either!

Rope leash on Lazy:
full

Same rope leash on Nacho:
full

Lower view of Lazy's new leash:
full

Where I bought them:
Wings
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CSL8GJP/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Rope (Looks like they don't have "Rainbow" anymore)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OFIYM0W/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

One thing with the rope leash is the beads they used sometimes break. I just use some rope to replace the beads.

xAnaBooo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ahh okay!! i thought you meant they started to enjoy it, lol. I have a rope leash too just cause he isnt an adult yet. but he wont even let me put it on him first of all

Foxxy76

Lol! Lazy enjoys that he gets to go outside when it's on. He definitely likes the wing leash better than the rope leash! He accepts the rope leash but doesn't like it as much. I think it's because it's more hassle to put on and it kid of sits weird on them. The wing leash is easier to put on and sits on his body a little better!
They have those wing leashes on the Wish app too for $5! Just try to find the one with the lowest shipping cost. Shipping is where they get you. I think they also have step-in leashes without wings at Petsmart for $10 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom