Status
Not open for further replies.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Hyla versicolor, the North American gray tree frog

I moved into a house this past year that borders a natural wetland preserve. Lots of amphibians and other wildlife about my property. I noticed that the nocturnal gray tree frogs would sleep under the cover of my outdoor hot tub, but I did not think anything of it. When the weather started to cool I made sure to shoo away any frogs so they had to figure out the cooling weather.

Unfortunately I missed one frog. One frog who had crawled through a narrow slit and into the filtration area of the hot tub. Which was about 100% humidity, 100 degrees Fahrenheit, and completely trapped once he got inside.

See below on the left is how I found him on November 18, 2018. Starving and near death. I brought him inside, cooled him down over 24 hours. I slow started to feed him every other day. Feed 1-2 crickets. Wait for poop. Feed again. The right side of the picture is November 22.
103228-8030981910.jpg

These pictures are from December 16. He was starting to look like a normal frog again.
103228-7376386323.jpg

These pictures are from December 18 to December 24. He was in a small container at first. This was basically quarantine to monitor his recovery.
103228-3173219254.jpg

I got Charlie his own 10 gallon enclosure. Not that fancy, but he seems to enjoy it very much. My wild boy often tries to figure out the top cover to escape. He is a fighter! Pictured below is him comfy and sleeping in the upper-rightmost part of the enclosure on cork bark. He loves this spot to sleep on.
103228-8969269483.jpg

Now he sings almost every day. Here is a blurry photo I caught of him singing!
103228-8177224602.jpg

I was told conflicting stories by different agencies I contacted in my home state. Every one I talk too either says I need to turn over a wild animal to an animal hospital or that it is cruel and inhumane to take a wild animal with injuries and reintroduce them to the wild so he must remain in human care. No one agrees on what to do but they all agree I am terribly irresponsible by not checking my hot tub thoroughly enough. I was at least checking and thinking about the wildlife around my house. For the next fall I know to check the filtration cover as well. I might be able to add a screen or get a new cover that is safe to keep frogs out.

I'm keeping Charlie. His singing tells me he believes he is in never-ending spring and feels great. By his call I am sure he is Hyla versicolor and I am quite sure he is a he. No idea on age. He could be an old frog for all I know. I'm giving him the good life. Later this year I want to give Charlie some neighbor frogs he can sing too, bought from a reputable breeder of course. I've never had White's Tree Frogs and always wanted some. Right now my bearded dragon Devlyn is in the same space and gets to enjoy (or tolerate, lol) his singing.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
CooperDragon":2edy1gju said:
I'm glad you were able to revive him! It sounds like he's healthy and content now =)
I'm aiming to make him happy Cooper

After putting in effort to add color for my dragon I felt bad for Charlie. His cage was the ultimate for camoflouge, because I tend to only see him once a week, but hear him every day. Added frog safe decorations and color. He took to the additions immediately!
103228-6272537280.jpg
Also featuring that time is looked like I had a single pet cricket in my enclosure xD
103228-6544364928.jpg
103228-8538301293.jpg

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
103228-6057812888.jpg

Best picture I ever got of him. After eating, before pooping, looking like the ones king of the tank. He's healthy frog shaped, I promise

Also adding some frog logic - the human won't see me if I stop moving...

103228-966646402.jpg

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
103228-6559421285.jpg
103228-6144034583.jpg
103228-1006126600.jpg
Mini Charlie update. He is at least 2 years old now. Who knows. He accepts feeders from tongs but mostly he gets to hunt his food down. He rarely gets out of his tank, just for bigger cleaning days. Spot cleaning works very well.

He always weighs about 11 grams. Except for his starvation and trapped episode he seems healthy. Gets to live the easy life. Still singing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom