Picky Eater

Status
Not open for further replies.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Hello All:

So recently Tampico has become a bit of a picky eater. She is boycotting anything but worms and realistically that doesn't fill her up as much as eating her dubia plus worms. So I am looking for advice on what the feed her along with her worms. She's currently eating Hornworms and Phoenix Worms...a quite a bit of Phoenix Worms. Silk Worms are not available in my area yet, nor are they selling from any online sources either. I've given her some Grub Pie, but she doesn't seem interested AT ALL! Ugh. I want her to eat and grow all big and healthy, but her pickiness is kinda hindering that at the moment. Any advice on food is welcome!

Thanks so much!!!

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
How old is she now? My beardie Otto came out of 3 months of brumation but never regained his pre-brumation appetite. He's now about 1.5 years old and I'm wondering if what you're seeing is similar to my situation. I feed him greens and dubias with a hornworm or two thrown in, but am monitoring his weight because he doesn't seem too keen on eating in general. He just kinda looks at the dubias now, and I'm not home during the day, so it's hard to tell if he's eating his greens or just running through them! :lol:

It might be a good idea to take her weight now, maybe add a little variety to her diet, and monitor. From reading other posts, it does seem that they take breaks eating from time to time, especially around shedding episodes, and they eat less as they get older. I guess it could be a lot of things at this point, so maybe this is a wait & see situation. You have probably seen this list before, but it's what I go off of to try to get my little guys some variety. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html. I was in Arizona this week among the cacti, so upon returning, I went to a local store and got them a prickly pear cactus leaf to try & it was a hit with one of them! You might try something similar in case she's just bored of her current diet.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hello. She is a year and 3 months. When she came out of brumation, she couldn't get enough dubia, and now she just turns her little nose up at them ORRRRR pretends like she's asleep when I hold them up to her. Lol. I have been monitoring her weight and it fluctuates, but now that I know it's because she doesn't WANT the dubia, I can focus on different food. She IS eating her greens. THANKFULLY!

She loves mustard greens and recently found out that she digs arugula too, but I know not to give her too much too often. She also likes dandelion greens and tolerates collards. I don't think those are peppery/spicy enough for her. (Like her momma that one :p) I do have that link saved on my phone and I do try to get her some food off of it. She's does like yellow squash, but I do try to stay away from fruits as she's never shown interest in them, but maybe now she'll change her mind. But as far as protein goes, she just wants to eat her worms, and those aren't enough to keep her at a constant good weight. The horns make her poo and the phoenix are just dainty little things. Grub pie is not her thing either, even when sprinkled with worms AND bee pollen. Just gotta keep trying everything else that's healthy I guess.

:blob5: :blob8: :roll:

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
I don't think those are peppery/spicy enough for her. (Like her momma that one :p)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess getting the "I'm sleeping" look is better than the stink eye that mine gives me when I try to feed him just about anything.

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
Butterworms are good at keeping/adding weight on. I gave my guy some silkworms and he decided that he didn't like crickets or dubias after he tasted the silkworms. I still offer them, but he only eats a couple here and there. When it comes to worms though he will eat just about any worm. I use silkworms as my staple (I know you mentioned you can't get those), my second go to is butterworms, I give hornworms quite often as well (no more than 1-2 a day depending on size when I have them), and I also give him large superworms here and there (usually 2-3 every other day or so, it helps firm up his poo from his soft worm diet.....he also likes to chase and torture them before eating them.......). I think if you were to add butterworms or possibly superworms if she is big enough to handle them, that might help keep a steady weight since they offer a little more fat per worm than the others.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Whelp, little one must know we're talking about her because she scarffed down 5 dubia and 6 Phoenix worms this morning, without hesitation. I guess her little appetite is finally coming back after a month of boycotting it. Lol Thanks for all your input, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom