Lowering Humidity in Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

ept1198

Hello!

I cannot get the humidity lower than 40% in my tank. The tank is a 20 gallon. I have a heating pad under the tank. I have a 50W heating bulb and a 50W UVB bulb. I also have a dehumidifier. I can get the humidity to drop from 60% to 40%, but it's still not low enough.

I live in a college dorm and cannot control the temperature of the room itself. I haven't got a beardie yet, don't worry :)

Is there anything else I'm not doing to fix this humidity problem?

Thanks,

Ept1198

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Hello there!

Welcome to the forum. I've heard that smaller tanks are a little hard to control tops and humidity, but lowering the humidity can usually be relieved by purchasing a CHE (ceramic heat emitter). It has no light, and is strictly for providing heat only.I'd suggest a nano CHE for your tank, but make sure you're not overheating. Maybe purchase a lower wattage bulb to counteract the extra heat. However, your beardie (whenever you do get him/her) will outgrow that tank pretty fast and most people will suggest you start with a 40 gallon tank. As for the tank heating pad, I'd get rid of that as beardies cannot regulate their heat from underneath, and won't be able to tell if it's too hot for them. They regulate and soak from the top. If you wanna go over the rest of your tank setup with us we'd be more than happy to give any tips for the new beardie you're planning to get! :)

-Substrate, lighting, bulb types, etc.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
You need to dehumidify the entire room. That seems like high humidity for indoors. Is the dorm room climate controlled? You have to check what the rules are for adding a plug in appliance like a dehumidifier. A window unit combo with AC might be allowed.

You should also read the care sheets at the top of the page. Starting with a bigger tank, florescent light UVB, white light/heat light, and some other basics will be better for a future dragon.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, the best & easiest way to lower humidity is to use a dehumidifier. They are normally
pretty effective in lowering & stabilizing humidity levels.

Tracie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
40-60% is similar to their natural range and shouldn't be a problem. You can run into issues having the air be too dry as well. The Eva Dry units are good for wicking moisture from a small space like a 20g tank but it may not be necessary and could take up too much valuable space inside the tank. Using an air conditioner or plug in dehumidifier for the whole room is probably the most effective method, but I don't think it's necessary unless the room feels really humid to you.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
I used a product called DampRid to adjust the humidity in my beardie's tank. You can find it in Home Depot and similar stores and it comes in either a plastic tub or as hanging rectangular pads. You have to make absolutely sure that your dragon doesn't knock the tub over if that's the route you go, because it uses granules to wick moisture out of the air, and I'm pretty certain it'd be bad news if he were to eat them. That said, it sounds like you situation might not require remediation after all, so this is just informational in case things change.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Damprid and Eva Dry are pretty similar. They both wick the moisture from the air with beads. The Eva Dry plugs into the wall to release the moisture when it's full, so it's rechargeable. The DampRid has single use gel packs that drain into a reservoir and need replacement once they are depleted. Both work well in small areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom