Female Bearded Dragon Swollen Bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.

IloveLamp223

Visiting my family for the month, I noticed that their female dragon was lethargic, wrinkly and slow. Further inspection and her whole bottom half is swollen and I believe she has a prolapse. The area around her rectum is pink, swollen and hard to the touch. Almost like there is an egg stuck, but I really don't know the anatomy of a bearded dragons enough to make an immediate diagnosis. Since then I've been trying to syringe feed her water to help with hydration and she has been receiving sugar water soaks but it hasn't helped.

She's being fed small crickets and greens but since yesterday won't eat. There is a male in her tank with her and I've since separated them because he climbs all over her and I've even caught him trying to mate with her in this condition.

I've attached some photos of what we are dealing with. Since the photos I've talked to my family about switching them to a fake grass instead of walnut as I've heard that is not good for them at all. I've also cleaned her rectum way better than the photos suggest. That was just the only time I was able to keep her still for the photos.

Any tips are appreciated for what may be going on, and what steps we can take before going to speciality vet out of town.

Thank you.

103755-4450107804.jpg
103755-5278009274.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I highly recommend getting her off of the walnut shell substrate i& onto some felt, non adhesive
shelf liner, newspaper, or tiles, as you have suggested, immediately. The fake grass might be
ok but some have been known to chew on it.
She is most likely terribly impacted & if not reversed will be fatal for her.
I would treat her for impaction. Be sure they don't offer any solid foods, only soft, pureed foods,
or baby foods. Start with canned unspiced pumpkin & sugar free applesauce, mixed with drop
or two of olive or coconut oil to help move things through.
Are her temperatures optimal for her?

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor thing, this is very painful for her ! It's good that you've taken the male out and are trying your best to care for this poor girl. I agree with Tracie, feed her as much soft baby foods + hydration as possible. Coat her sore area with raw honey, it can reduce inflammation. Get her off the crushed walnut ASAP, just dump it out. An experienced vet may really be needed to help at this point.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Please keep us posted on her, I hope you can get the impaction cleared.

Tracie

IloveLamp223

Original Poster
Drache613":fj6ew9be said:
Hello,

Please keep us posted on her, I hope you can get the impaction cleared.

Tracie

Tracie,

Thank you and other posters for this information! She is on substrate now and is staying hydrated by syringe. I am feeding her baby food (prune or as you suggested pumpkin). She's more alert with the feeding and hydration which is great. But her bottom is so hard and swollen. She's passed solid waste over the week and it's still persisted to swell. I will continue with keeping the area moist and have urged my family to get vet care. If they cannot go by Wednesday, I will be taking her personally because that's my pay day.

I was reading that if they do not have an adequate area to lay eggs that they won't, could this also possibly be the cause or is it too close to her rectum? Again, I appreciate any help; I know absolutely nothing of beardies. These aren't even mine, but I am concerned for them.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good, keep up the hydration and " laxative " type foods. It's very unlikely to be eggs, she would almost certainly be dead if she were eggbound and her belly looks so hollow there's no indication of eggs. Her condition is from lack of hydration, stress + she possibly never got to bask at temps. that would facilitate digestion because of being dominated by the male.

Good to hear that you're stepping up to help the poor thing.

It really sounds like you should be the one owning the dragon since your family seems pretty ambivalent about her painful medical problem. She's lucky to have you around. Sorry if I'm being intrusive, but the fact that nobody did something about this and kept her housed with a dominant male until you arrived absolutely disgusts me.

IloveLamp223

Original Poster
I would like to thank everyone for their help over the past couple of days. Since my last post she has pooped a solid one, but is still very swollen. I've done the "laxative foods" with oil and have been doing a syringe for extra water as well. I unfortunately cannot take her with me when I leave; but I talked my family into giving the male and female to a reptile rescue the next town over. I'll be taking them tomorrow.

It's a great place that I've visited on numerous occasions and I feel she would definitely get the help she deserves from a caring staff there. Plus, then they are also given the chance to go to an even better home after she's rehabilitated. As AHDB stated about dehydration, stress and improper lightning that is what they believe as well. They were more then happy to take them in. Again, thank you to Tracie, AHDB and Winkydinks for your concern!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good to hear ! It would be good if her condition was made known to the staff right off the bat and she can hopefully get some relief from that problem. Good thing you came along and that the owners are wiling to give her up. Sending my best wishes to the sweet beardie . :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great news you have found a better environment for them both. I am sure the rescue
facility will rehome them to a good home once they are all better. How is the female doing?
I hope she is feeling better & will be 100% soon.

Thanks for the updates!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom