Sudden change, hiding but not burmation

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Put some drops of water on his nose see if he licks it off -- put him in a bath --- and if he eats greens wash them before serving
Karrie

Ann404

Original Poster
Still not drinking. I dont know if it's any good but found an online fecal testing lab, waiting for the kit now. Put the t5 light back on top the screen like it was, but hes still hiding. Worried if I keep.feeding him while hes cold, he won't properly digesting his food? I held him today and hes alert, no signs of any injury, eyes and nasal is clear, skin seems hydrated. Just dont know what else to try?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is he eating veggies at all? You can wash his veggies before serving-- are you gut loading his bugs-- they usually get moisture from them as well-- you can bathe him and he can get water that way-- I don't have a water dish in hiccups tank--- horn worms are full of water--
Karrie

SPandS

Juvie Member
Do you ever take him out of his hiding spot and put him on his basking spot? If so how does he respond? Does he run right back to his hiding spot or stay basking for a bit?

Ann404

Original Poster
SandP":16fcskzh said:
Do you ever take him out of his hiding spot and put him on his basking spot? If so how does he respond? Does he run right back to his hiding spot or stay basking for a bit?
Yes everyday I take him out try to give water and put him on his basking spot. He may stay 30 minutes to an hour if I pull out the hiding spot. However today I cut his high basking spot down and put in a 100w zoo med bulb. I have 3 thermometers in there and they all show about 95. Now at night his cage temp will drop as I also removed the CHE. Normal house temps around 65 degrees. Hes cold, but still eats. Eyes clear. I just dont get why. Been a full week now. Before he spent all his day time basking.

Ann404

Original Poster
KarrieRee":ldgkjumh said:
Is he eating veggies at all? You can wash his veggies before serving-- are you gut loading his bugs-- they usually get moisture from them as well-- you can bathe him and he can get water that way-- I don't have a water dish in hiccups tank--- horn worms are full of water--
Karrie
No, we give fresh salad daily, but never see him eat it. We totally stopped feeding crickets. We tried phoenix worms, he doesnt want them. So hes only getting roaches. I feed the roaches carrots, apple, salad. Before they are served I sprinkle with calcium powder with d3. We do bathe, but he hates it, gets stress marks. He never liked being held.

Ann404

Original Poster
102705-2247069064.jpg
102705-5612764298.jpg
Here are two pictures from this afternoon. If any one could please give more suggestions. I would very much appreciate it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Their lighting plays a huge roll in their behavior and everything--- your using probes only for temps? If so you need to get a Infrared heat gun to get an actual temp of that basking area---- he should be basking for at least 4 hrs per day--- that is the only thing I can tell you at this point -- probes are good but they usually only pick up ambient temps-- and him being cold all the time hes not going to digest his food --- I would put the CHE back on the tank if your house is getting down to 65 at nite -- how much is he eating ? how many roaches? Here is what I would do ----get a proper reading of basking area from heat gun-- get rid of the compact coil--- place the UVB inside the tank approx 10-11 inches from the basking area-- cool side of your tank should be around 80 -- at nite around 70 or so --- the CHE will help w/ that-- your platforms etc can help w/ getting the proper temps - those you can always adjust -- get your lights situated --- but first and foremost you need your temps regulated -- mine hates baths too but he still gets them -- you can take a favorite decoration that can get wet set it in sink and let the warm water run on him-- thats what I do w/ Hiccup -- its a basking rock that can be washed or get wet and I set him on it and let the water run on him -- he tolerates it -- that will help w/ hydration -- you can feed him horn worms they are full of water - drip water on his nose for him to lick off --for get to say you can get a Infrared heat gun from Walmart Lowes or Home Depot for around $10
Karrie

SPandS

Juvie Member
He looks alert, bright eyed and no stress marks so it's strange that he is hiding all the time. How close is the basking spot to the screen now? Is the uvb still above it? Depending on the distance it may be fine on top.

Does he drink when he gets a bath? If not there is no reason to give him one especially if he doesn't like them unless he is dirty. If you feel he needs more water try a syringe and drop some water on his snout and see if he licks it up.

Have you weighed him at all? Does he look like he is losing weight? How have his poops been? If he's pooping fine and not losing any weight I would probably just continue what you're doing, feeding him and putting him on his basking spot so he has a chance to digest. Maybe all the rearranging is making him a bit nervous and hopefully he'll start coming out more if everything stays the same for a while.

Ann404

Original Poster
Thank you all for all your help. He has been basking the whole afternoon. Right after my last post he ate about 30 to 40 small roaches and sat under his light. With a temp gun, his rock is about 94 and his body is between 95 to 97. Is that good?. Also would a t8 be better in my setup? So I could put it inside the tank about 8 inches from the rock. I sure hope he continues to improve. Again thanks.

SPandS

Juvie Member
That's great that he's basking again and ate so much. I would stick with the t5 and keep it above the screen, since your screen is so open it's fine. 94 is a bit cool, can you lower the basking bulb? You shouldn't have to lower it much. I know you just lowered his basking spot but if you can't lower the bulb could you possibly raise the basking spot? Getting the temps correct is so much trial and error and can really be frustrating. I personally use a dome with a dimmer and makes it so much easier as I can have a higher wattage bulb and just dim it a bit to get the temps correct. Maybe that could be an option for you.

Ann404

Original Poster
SandP":1n6d15yu said:
That's great that he's basking again and ate so much. I would stick with the t5 and keep it above the screen, since your screen is so open it's fine. 94 is a bit cool, can you lower the basking bulb? You shouldn't have to lower it much. I know you just lowered his basking spot but if you can't lower the bulb could you possibly raise the basking spot? Getting the temps correct is so much trial and error and can really be frustrating. I personally use a dome with a dimmer and makes it so much easier as I can have a higher wattage bulb and just dim it a bit to get the temps correct. Maybe that could be an option for you.
I'm starting to wonder if he was getting over heated before. The only real difference I made was the cut down the platform and remove/replace the lights. The temp gun shows the rock at 94, but his body on the rock at 97 degrees or higher. Hes getting so big. Lol. He basked most of today and ate as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom