Scared for days after 1st exposure to sun though open window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I may be over concerned but Hestia (6 mo old) got her first exposure to the sun/outside through an open window 4 days ago and has been freaked out ever since. We had the screened window open, sat her on the window sill and after a minute she bearded fully for the first time, flattened and jumped down (not far onto carpet). She ran around bearded and flattened like a maniac until we could throw a shirt over her and get her back in her viv.
We let her be for a day but yesterday and today she seems okay being taken out of her viv but then without warning beards and flattens. When she isn't bearded and flattened she's watching the ceiling. Today she had 2 loose poops. Stress related? Here are some pics
Day 3 reaction
103097-7638283632.jpg
Day 4 freak out
103097-8193057677.jpg
On high alert
103097-9999763700.jpg
Today's poop after all this (she had butternut squash)
103097-4235511888.jpg

Any suggestions for helping her to calm down?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Time heals all.
She most likely saw a bird and it triggered her natural instinct to run/ defend. That's probably why she is looking up at the ceiling (sky) as that's where she saw the bird.
Stress can cause loose stools and it does seem whatever she saw did spook her quite a bit.

She will calm down eventually im sure just keep acting like all is normal and good and it will go back to being that way :)

-Brandon

ElliotBeansMom

Original Poster
Thanks for the reassurance. She is definitely spooked and boy are those instincts strong. This is going to take a while.
My son has started counseling sessions.?
103097-9952070880.jpg
We're also keeping her viv covered today after she ran to hide when hearing the crunch of dried out mustard greens.
103097-5712767397.jpg
I feel so bad for her.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Aww poor girl!

Keep us updated hopefully she starts making some progress with the sessions :)

-Brandon

ElliotBeansMom

Original Poster
Hestia is still pretty spooked. Also when she doesn't act spooked, she's got a real attitude now. Yesterday she didn't eat much so I stuck a few dubias in her lips to get her to eat. Excuse all the calcium dust on my pants.?
103097-6411662795.jpg
Then when I went to give her another - the look I got... She wasn't having it so that was it.
103097-7599090500.jpg
This morning - back to watching for birds.
103097-5383934267.jpg
She's like a different lizard. ? I miss my cuddle buddy.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Poor thing got a taste of the big, wide world. I guess it's like the teen who gets into their 1st fender bender in that it'll take time for the shock to wear off. The good news is that it will, and you'll soon be back to (good) pancaking and snuggling. :D

ElliotBeansMom

Original Poster
So when she bearded and gaped today I short circuited her with some carrot. She loves to crunch and she forgot to be scared once she realized there was food near her mouth.
So tonight my snuggle bunny is back!
103097-2845875039.jpg
And showed her first signs of being lovey again before the snuggles commenced
103097-4770152625.jpg
I'm sure she will still keep us all safe from the birds and tonight just so happy that she seems more herself.???

ElliotBeansMom

Original Poster
She did it! We had a warm sunny day and Hestia got over her nerves and enjoyed it! Thanks so much for the encouragement guys!
103097-8475445807.jpg
103097-9043685132.jpg
103097-7035547560.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom