Too many superworms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dragon, mars, is my 2 years old baby boy who is a joy to own. When i was in school, my father bought some superworms.. and fed my dragon. He fed mars 35 superworms. Im super worried. Mars is 18 inches long, with reddish toned skin. This happened today and nothing bad is happening but im terrified he'll get impacted. He has 2 white lights( one for his basking spot, one to keep his warm general side at a good temp) with a very nice dimmer who keeps his basking spot at 101 degrees, his hot side at 90, and has a 24 inch uvb running at the edge of his basking spot to the other side of his tank. His cool side is about 70-80 ish deegrees and i bathe him regularly. He is in a 40 gallon front-opening tank. He is regularly fed greens, the rest of the days crickets/ and a few super worms every now and then, and a hornworm once a week. help?

Edit; I now realize this should’ve gone into the health sections but it’s too late to change it; sorry! :(

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't worry about it.

I wouldn't make it a habit to feed that many haha, but dragons are tough creatures, just keep an eye on him. It sounds like your husbandry is A-OK so just pay attention to his BM's.
If he starts showing any issues, then we can help.

-Brandon

SushiiDrxgon

Original Poster
When I bathed him, he didn’t poop like he normally would. He was straining to try, but to no avail. He’s unusually brightly colored while sleeping, and I don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing since he is usually darker toned at night. He is not acting strange aside from what I have stated above :?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, I wouldn't worry too much, they can handle amounts like that from time to time. If you
are worried about impaction, you could get some sugar free applesauce, along with some
canned pumpkin & mix those together with a drop or two of olive or coconut oil. Give 1-2 mls
daily to help move things through him.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He'll probably take a much longer time to digest them and hopefully will pass them without a problem. At any rate that was waaaaay too many and some dragons would actually vomit that amount up, happens often enough to be concerning and to be sure not to repeat the mistake. Try the natural laxatives that were mentioned and don't feed him any more insects for at least a week. That's also how some beardies end up like obese balloons when the owner is amazed at how many insects these guys can pack in and view it as a sign of good health when they eat like they have a bottomless pit. Hopefully he'll be fine but you already know to limit the superworms to just a few per week. Even 7-10 is not that bad but it can become addictive + then the beardie refuses other insects.

SushiiDrxgon

Original Poster
I just fed him a few pieces of watermelon to try And help things along. That’s the only thing I’ve fed him since he ate those 35 super worms. Will the watermelon also act as a laxative? I don’t have any applesauce on hand.

SushiiDrxgon

Original Poster
He did poop... but it was mainly a big urate and a tiny bit of brownish, super liquidy and smelly poop, that was everywhere. Should I Be
103719-6249458622.jpg
concerned?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sure, if you want. Try again tomorrow if it doesn't work today. About 10 minutes, nice + warm but stay there to watch him of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom