Bearded dragon, around 8-9years old not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
My male bearded dragon hasn’t eaten in around 10 days now. He usually eats 4 or 5 live meal worms every other day or so, and fresh food like leafy greens or certain vegetables when we have them in the home. Recently he’s stopped eating, his cage contains a uv light, heat mat on one side and a shaded log and climbing area, it also has fresh flooring regularly so I don’t think that his living would be the problem, but he did go for 2 weeks recently with the same flooring and his uv light broke and we took a few days to buy a replacement, I’m not sure if this could of affected him or not. He’s pretty old now and I’m not sure if this is why he’s not eating but he has gotten a bath today and he did have a poo so I guess that’s a good sign. Any help would be greatly appreciated. He will be taken to the vets this week if nothing helps. Thanks guys.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello, meal worms should be given as a treat --- its good hes eating his vegies - my guess it might be your lighting -- can you post pics of his tank and lighting -- that would help
thanks Karrie

Morganbell24

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2gw3mboq said:
Hello, meal worms should be given as a treat --- its good hes eating his vegies - my guess it might be your lighting -- can you post pics of his tank and lighting -- that would help
thanks Karrie
Hi Karrie, here’s a pic of his tank at the moment
https://imgur.com/gallery/dQmgQSP
The uvb bulb on the right and a heat mat under the log on the left, thanks for your help.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Picture did not come thru-- please go to top of page and click on User Image Uploader- down load pics-- click on reply - at top of message box click on XIMG -- pics should post-- do you have a basking light?
Karrie

Morganbell24

Original Poster
103715-1242852938.jpg
103715-1242852938.jpg
KarrieRee":akoozx1v said:
Picture did not come thru-- please go to top of page and click on User Image Uploader- down load pics-- click on reply - at top of message box click on XIMG -- pics should post-- do you have a basking light?
Karrie
There’s a adapter in the middle of the cage where the basking light was but it broke so I’m waiting to get paid to buy him one.
Has the photo come through now?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How long has the basking light been out? You can get them at Petco for $12-- and the UVB is that a tube in there? What is the big bright light?
Karrie

Morganbell24

Original Poster
KarrieRee":21theczh said:
How long has the basking light been out? You can get them at Petco for $12-- and the UVB is that a tube in there? What is the big bright light?
Karrie
The UVB is the bright light, it’s not so bright in person it’s the image and I’m in the uk not the us their slightly more expensive, only been a few days without the basking light.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so first of all he needs a better UVB --- this is what we recommend on this forum-- Reptisun 10 T5 or the Arcadia D3 12% or 14% T5 tube, both of which are very good. You will need a T 5 light fixture as well. I dont know if you can order off Amazon but you need to replace that UVB ASAP and get a basking bulb as well -- the lighting he needs is crucial to his over all health-- the UVB needs to be mounted in his/ her tank --- the T 5 approx 10-11 inches from basking spot and a T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot-- please start trying to find this lighting for him/ her -- he will not be able to digest his food properly w/ out this lighting -- also a heat mat is not a good idea either --- if you need to heat your tank more you can invest in a CHE w/ no light-- ceramic heat emitter - either a 75 watt or 100 watt bulb -- heat mats cause burns and they dont heat thru their tummys --
Karrie

Morganbell24

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1sbdo37g said:
Ok so first of all he needs a better UVB --- this is what we recommend on this forum-- Reptisun 10 T5 or the Arcadia D3 12% or 14% T5 tube, both of which are very good. You will need a T 5 light fixture as well. I dont know if you can order off Amazon but you need to replace that UVB ASAP and get a basking bulb as well -- the lighting he needs is crucial to his over all health-- the UVB needs to be mounted in his/ her tank --- the T 5 approx 10-11 inches from basking spot and a T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot-- please start trying to find this lighting for him/ her -- he will not be able to digest his food properly w/ out this lighting -- also a heat mat is not a good idea either --- if you need to heat your tank more you can invest in a CHE w/ no light-- ceramic heat emitter - either a 75 watt or 100 watt bulb -- heat mats cause burns and they dont heat thru their tummys --
Karrie
Okay thanks for your help.

SPandS

Juvie Member
Without proper heat he isn't able to digest his food so he won't want to eat. Get him a new basking bulb, they don't need to be made specifically for reptiles any bright white bulb will do as long as it puts out heat unlike the newer led bulbs and he should hopefully start wanting to eat again. Did I read that right he only gets fed a salad when you have them in the home? He really should have access to a salad and veggies every day. Also offering him a variety of bugs would be a good idea too. Being that old he doesn't need them every day but a variety would be good to change things up for him and allow him to get different nutrients, them same reason to offer him different greens and veggies.

Morganbell24

Original Poster
SandP":1hqc4r4p said:
Without proper heat he isn't able to digest his food so he won't want to eat. Get him a new basking bulb, they don't need to be made specifically for reptiles any bright white bulb will do as long as it puts out heat unlike the newer led bulbs and he should hopefully start wanting to eat again. Did I read that right he only gets fed a salad when you have them in the home? He really should have access to a salad and veggies every day. Also offering him a variety of bugs would be a good idea too. Being that old he doesn't need them every day but a variety would be good to change things up for him and allow him to get different nutrients, them same reason to offer him different greens and veggies.
Sorry when I said when I have them in the home I meant he gets the veggie we have at the time and gets variety, he gets them daily. He has begun eating again today.

SPandS

Juvie Member
As long as it's bright white and heats the basking spot to the proper temp it will be fine and one marketed for reptiles isn't necessary. I haven't used a reptile basking bulb in years. I use regular old fashion household bulbs from the dollar store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom