Exhale Puffs of Air Through Mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

CateAndMax

My three year old bearded dragon Max just started deep breathing as she got ready for bed. Usually I can’t hear her breathe, but I can tonight as she sleeps on me. It’s like she’s breathing in through her nose and breathing out through her mouth. Upon exhalation, it looks like her little beard fills up with air and releases out through her mouth with a little puff of air. Her mouth or lips open just enough to let the air out. I can also compare it to when someone burps silently, I guess, by just letting the air release without the belch sound, if that makes sense. It’s not with every breath, but it’ll happen maybe three times in a row, every three to five minutes or so. Is this normal? Should I be worried? Does anyone else’s dragon breathe like this sometimes? I’ve never seen her do it other than right after she eats sometimes, but even then it’s only a handful of times and then it’s over. And it’s a little different during those times. I don’t think air is actually being released out of her mouth then. Tonight, it’s been happening for about an hour and a half or so. She’s been eating normal, going potty normal, just shed (only a little left on her tail), no black beard, looking vibrant. But I’m scared. She is my first bearded dragon and I’m not as knowledgeable or experienced as a lot of you. Any info or advice would be much appreciated!
This is what it looked like when it first started...
https://youtu.be/k9ZVVUKerIM

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It looks like shes adjusting her temp--- they do that normally- if you see her on her basking spot sometimes they will do that its called gaping --- some one else can weigh in on it but thats what it looks like to me
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My dragon does that sometimes. I equate it to a burp too. She looks alert and healthy in the video so I don't think it should cause concern.

CateAndMax

Original Poster
Thank you both for your replies. I guess I was just concerned because she continued to do it while she was sleeping and what I would consider quite frequently. Since Max is my first beardie, everything she does first is new to me. And I don’t know any other bearded dragon parents personally, so I have no one to ask and no basis of what is considered “normal”.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If it's happening frequently, just keep an eye on her behavior for now. Look out for her starting to act lethargic or lose her appetite, look for signs of infection which may include increased mucous around the nose and mouth. Unless you see other indicators, I wouldn't worry too much about the breathing on it's own.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They also make slight clicking noises when they breathe at night sometimes. It is simply the
glottis opening & closing when they breathe. You can only hear it when it's really quiet.
It looks like he is fine to me. They can sure do some strange breathing sometimes though.

Tracie

CateAndMax

Original Poster
Okay, I’m definitely feeling better about it after reading your replies. Thanks for the info. And Tracie, I did notice that faint clicking noise! I’m so happy to learn that’s a normal thing. Last night was the first night I’ve ever heard it. Max has been breathing normal all day and we didn’t have a repeat of last night’s festivities when she went to sleep tonight, so I’m feeling way less stressed about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom