2 problems.. fattening up and a sore on lip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My female bearded dragon Penelope has an open wound on her lower lip that I been putting pollysporin on at night and was wondering what I can use to clean it out besides a clean cloth.
my second problem is that since i got my male (seperate tank but within sight of each other) she has been laying eggs. she is still on her 4th clutch of infertile eggs. what can I do to fatten her up between because she doesn't seem to gain much weight between the clutches. she has no fat cells on her head or tail and barely any under her arms. (don't know how to post a pic)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you also post pics of her entire body to show her size ? It would be best to keep him out of her view, either put him in another room or put something up like a piece of cardboard to block the view. His presence is stressing her, it can stress them both. So what IS she eating ? You need to feed her as much as she wants. Try hornworms + silkworms if you haven't already and feed her twice a day. Greens like collards, turnip, mustard, kale, dandelion, arugula and green beans + squash [ fresh but chopped or grated ]

For her lip the best thing would be raw honey. It's a natural antimicrobial and heals things better than anything. Also promotes tissue growth . Just be sure there are no loose crickets in the tank [ check everywhere because they hide during the day + come out at night ]

michellekeim

Original Poster
they both get fed outside their homes. I'm in the presses of looking for a smaller tank for her so they can't see each other anymore. she is 19 inches long and almost 2 years old.
98230-5726197255.jpg
98230-9445188189.jpg

SPandS

Juvie Member
You say they get fed outside of their homes but what do you feed them. At almost 2 years old she should be eating a nice sized salad every day and with all the egg laying she needs calcium along with bugs to help fatten her back up. What size tank is she in now and why do you want to put her in a smaller one? Can't you just move one or put something in between them depending on how you have them set up?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I agree why are you putting her in a smaller tank? She will not be happy and want out all the time and she will not get to her full growth-- I would ditch the sand its not healthy for them ---- they need to have their own tanks -- 75-120 gallon ---- looking at this set up makes me think other things are not right for them as well -- can you please post pics of their lighting -- thank you
Karrie

michellekeim

Original Poster
she eats her salad which is spring salad mix, watercress, all squash types, ocassionally bokchoy, and kale. I've tried many fruits and she just won't touch them especially if they are red. she's a very fussy eater.
98230-9333835798.jpg
her tank is custom and is 68"l x 24"w x24"d her crickets are dusted 1 time a day only after laying eggs and if I notice she is pregnant. she gets crickets 2 times a day and if I can afford it she gets 10 super worms at night to help fatten her up. before she started to lay eggs she was over weight and now she is very skinny. she just finally finished laying eggs for the 4th time. I did try mice but only pinky and fed her those 3 times a week for only 1 week. she really loves the mice and didn't have any problems at all with them.

michellekeim

Original Poster
their lighting is the solar glo by exo terrain and a 60 watt normal bulb for heat they're in separate tanks and she only stays on one side of her tank. never goes to the other side. unless glass surfing when close to laying eggs.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Her tank is really beautiful, great job ! I can see how the ramp from the left side of the tank leads to the sand area. Her diet sounds very good as well. Her body condition is not bad, they look deflated after laying large amounts of eggs but you want to offer her all her faves to help keep her weight on. I think her main problem is that she sees the male . Is there some way you can block his tank with cardboad ? Part of her tank blocked + part of his tank blocked ?

BTW is the solar glo MVB on the sandy side or the other ? With such a large tank you might need it on both sides, then maybe she'll spend more time on the left side. But the tank itself is huge and very well done.

michellekeim

Original Poster
it is a mvb and a 125w bulb. we just put 5he sand in about 2 weeks ago when she started to show signs of being egg baron. I do have his tank blocked right now so they can't see each other and plan on moving him so all she sees is our leopard geckos instead. and I been putting honey that is straight from a bee keeper onto her chin. thank you all for your help. it us greatly appreciated.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome, please keep this updated with any other concerns about Penelope. And maybe think about putting up another MVB on the other side just in case it needs more heat, plus you'll be giving her more uvb. I've used those as well as Powersun MVB's , I always write the date on the box because they can stop producing good uvb after about 8 months even though they continue to produce heat + light for over 2 years. You could also add a longtube Reptisun 10.0 t5 for even more uvb exposure.

michellekeim

Original Poster
I will keep that in mind thank you. I do have an extra one put away and will see about putting it on the other side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom