New Beardie help

Status
Not open for further replies.

calixo

Hi guys.. I'm new here and a new dragon owner for a few days now. I've been researching and not quite sure how long I should wait to try to handle. We are assuming he is around 3months old. Pet store couldnt tell us. He (assuming its a he) jumps when I enter the room or go to feed. I would like to start bonding to stop him from being so scared.
any suggestions?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to the forum---- what pet store did you get your little one from? Please post pics of your tank and lighting so we can give advice as to what to change out--- did you buy a kit? We all cringe when we hear "Pet Store"---- so much bad advice given and so many things that are wrong in kits. Please go to User Image Uploader at top of page- down load pics- click on reply - at top of message box click XIMG - post pics-- at least you came here before you needed fast help - most seek us out after the fact and their dragons are about dead or seriously ill---
thank you
Karrie

calixo

Original Poster
103694-5401789048.jpg
103694-7062755087.jpg

Ok.. he was a surprise given to me on Saturday by my boyfriend. He got him at Petsmart(cringe) with one of the reptile starter kits they suggested. So far "Drogon" seems to be doing ok. Right after set-up I started googling. We think he is around 3months. I havent actually taken him out to hold him yet. This is where im getting stumped. Pet store is saying 14 days. Other places immediately. He is eating crickets. Havent gotten him to even look at the Kale yet even with a few waxworms. I have noticed him "glass surfing" so i went ahead and ordered a back drop. Sometimes he jumps when I open the screen and other times he doesnt. He's pooping well. Already found him in the water but I removed some because I read they can fall asleep and drown. I havent tried to pick him up yet. Didnt want to cause him anymore stress.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes you want to start handling him right away-- PetSmart gives bad advice--- would you have a plumber come fix your roof? I would not--- the coil light you got is no good-- this is what most recommend on this forum is the Reptison 10.0 T5 you need the fixture as well or a Arcadia 10.0 T5 --- both are good bulbs and only need to be changed out one time per year-- mounted inside tank about 10-11 inches from spot-- if you get the T8 it would need to be around 6-8 inches and changed out every 6 months--- the T 5 is a stronger bulb and crucial to the health of the dragon-- the veggies he probably won't touch much but I would offer him collard or turnip greens mustard-- his main diet is bugs at this point and I would recommend dubia roaches-- they are easier to keep they don't stink and don't chirp-- 1 dubia = 6 crickets-- they can be kept in a tote or 10 gallon aquarium fed carrots squash apples sweet potato-- you can see if a you have a mom and pops petstore-- carries them or order on line from Amazon suppliers offer free shipping-- also super worms and mealworms should not be fed to him they are to hard on their digestion system-- how are you taking basking temps?
Karrie

calixo

Original Poster
This is great advice.. thank you for taking out the time to help. Right now just what was provided until my laser gun I ordered comes in. I’m not too sure if there are mom and pop pet stores but I’ll try a feed store I know if for the roaches. Thank you.
I have another question. I’ve read to keep them in a high traffic area. Right now he is in the kitchen and only seeing us when we are in the room. I work from home and want him to bind with me should I move him in the same room with me?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Would be good -- I work from home as well and Hiccup is w/ me in my office-- was a bedroom at one time but has been turned into an office- it is off my kitchen so to speak so he has a lot of non alone time -- I am in and out of it all day but spend at least 6 hrs in it per day at a time- and I talk to him alot ---
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your tank looks nice & bright. What type of basking light are you using, a bright white light?
You can definitely handle him once you have him home so he starts getting used to you.
Unless he acts scared to death & very stressed, you can just go slowly with him.
They usually do better when they are in a more social setting, instead of an area where they
don't have any interaction.

Let us know how things are going.
Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What a little cutie, and it's great if he's eating already ! :) Don't worry too much about him being jumpy, believe me it's MUCH better to hear that than he being lethargic. He's young + full of energy, stressed out a bit in a new home as well. Give him some time and he will settle down. Handle him just a bit every day and things will work out. Some remain more hyper than others but can become more chill as they get older.

calixo

Original Poster
thank you guys. Right now I have the set up provided from petsmart. I am planning on changing the lighting this weekend to the recommended ones on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom