Tank Sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
Around what size would a dragon need moved out of a 20 gallon long tank? IIRC they're about 30 inches long by 12 inches wide, but i could be mistaken. She's currently small still, maybe 10-11inches or so and comfortably moves around the tank. Im debating waiting it out till my fish tank is empty for her to take that 70 gallon tank, but she would likely be around 2 years old before that happens (she is almost 7 months now). Outside this 20 gallon tank and the 70 in the house, there isnt much room for anything else... so Id like to start figuring stuff out asap.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
An adult dragon should be in a 75 - 120 gallon tank --- a fish aquarium would be hard to keep clean as most reptile enclosures should have doors that open from the front-- its easier on you--- I would look at getting one soon -- I bought my tank which is a 120 gallon tank from ZenHabitats $269 w/ free shipping the tank is very lite-- Hiccup loves it - he can move around very easy and its easy to keep clean -- I put ceramic slate tile in the bottom of mine as the bamboo was a slippery floor - the tile is so much easier to clean - I put paper towels under the tile for the watery / urate -- it absorbs the water and just replace the paper towels when cleaning up and clean the tile w/ vinegar/ water mixed in a spray bottle-- no more mess and the vinegar takes the smell away -- I ended up getting a aquarium stand from Home Depot for $200 - I can post pic if you like
Karrie

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
At just over 11 inches she can still move very comfortably in the current tank as it's 30" x 12" x 12"... the larger tank I have is 48" x 18" with unknown height (top hides some of the height, probably 24 inches or something). Getting her in and out of the tank is more of a worry than cleaning the tank.

The dilemma remains at when should she be placed in a larger tank. Not the fact that she will need one. I already acknowledged that she needs a larger tank eventually.

She will need it soon. They grow very quickly, and it would be extremely unfair to her to keep her in the 20 gallon until she's 2 years old. I'd start looking into a larger enclosure for her now.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I agree w/ Lavenderfleur--- they grow very quickly and by the time shes a year she will need to be out of the 20 gallon
Karrie

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alright, thanks! Just realized how I can rearrange my room to give her space. Im going to look into building a custom tank instead of buying one though. She'll have to stay in this tank until she's close to a year old though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom