Swollen forearms and looks like small ball in calf

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beards named Lexi about 1.5 years old has gotten these bumps on her limbs in the forearm (entire part, elbow to palm) and in the calf, just 1 ball like bump. I already had her cage and light checked out, with good bulbs, replaced every 4-6 month or so, and she has stopped eating unless we force her mouth open, and put up just butternut squash baby food in her mouth. She has also almost completely stopped putting pressure on her back legs, and swollen arm. On her arm only, it is so swollen it looks as if the scales were stretched, can anyone help? Is it gout, and if so will I have to put her down??

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry your dragon isn't doing very well. Can you review your tank setup with us, such as the
type/brand of UVB, supplementation, temperatures, etc to see if everything is correct.
Do you have pictures of your dragon we could see, along with the setup?
Lexi is a terrific name. Based on your description, it does "sound" like gout. Depending on the
severity & possible causes, you shouldn't have to put her down. Let's see what she looks like &
discuss some treatment options & a few diet & lifestyle changes if needed.

Tracie

ilovemybeardy

Original Poster
The bulbs are about a foot from her, fake leaves for shade, exoterra uvb and heat light, and plenty of space to run around, with food and water always available, and the “ball” is on the outside it the calf part of her leg.
40 gallon tank with heat pad partially on heat light, partially off in the shaded area, temperatures from 100-85 variance in the tank.

ilovemybeardy

Original Poster
UPDATE: I took her to the vet, they took x rays and blood samples and found out it was not gout, but she was vitamin deficient. Thanks for the help, she got a shot, and we had them show us how we should have the cage set up, and we found out that we now need to powder her crickets, squash, and kale.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Sounds good -- did they tell you what type of UVB you should be using and it to be placed in the tank? Please help us out and post pics of the tank and lighting-- thank you
Karrie

ilovemybeardy

Original Poster
They said the exoterra UVB bulb is good about 1 foot away, use supplement powder for calcium and vitamins, and replace the uvb bulb about every 6 months, so the uvb rays don’t wear or “go out”.

ilovemybeardy

Original Poster
I believe it is, but it also comes in different voltages with no coil, and different sizes, so it depends on the size you have to screw it into.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok coils are no good they need a tube UVB-- most on the forum recommend the Reptison 10.0 T 5 you will need a fixture as well or a Arcadia 10.0 T 5 both are very good -- needs to go inside the tank--- screen mesh filters out the UVB rays-- the T 5's are replaced once a year whereas the T 8's every six months--- they need to be 10-11 inches from basking for the T5's and T8's 6-8 inches-- the T5's are a stronger bulb
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today?
As suggested, the coil type of UVB lights are very limited in the amount of UVB emissions that
they put out. A lot of them have harmful UVB emissions, too. The T5 Arcadia D3 12 or 14%, or
the T5 Reptisun 10 are the two most routinely used T5 bulbs. Those are high UVB out put. There
are also the T8 tube bulbs, & they are still used often. They just don't last as long & don't emit as
strong of UVB.
He may be developing pseudogout which is usually environmental or supplemental issues. If he
isn't exposed to adequate UVB exposure, he wont be able to absorb his calcium & vitamins very
well which can lead to malabsorption of calcium or other vital nutrients. If it is minor, then, he will
be able to reverse it & shouldn't have to be on medication for very long to get it corrected.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

ilovemybeardy

Original Poster
It was not gout, we took her to a vet, and we found out she was low on her vitamins, she got a shot and we were given medicine to give her, and she is already doing better 3 days later.
Thanks for the help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Glad to hear it was not gout -- I would still recommend changing out the UVB if you dont have one of the ones mentioned above--- it will prevent future illnesses.
Thanks Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good to hear it was not gout then. I do agree, to help prevent him from developing any
metabolic bone issues, we would recommend upgrading his UVB lighting to one of the above
mentioned lights just to be proactive.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom