Found my bearded dragon woth his eyes open and very cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
please help. I found my beardie laying with his eyes open and very cold and he did not appear to be breathing about an hour after i turned his lights out. I do have a small Che but he was not directly under it. I took him out and warmed him up and let him sit under his basking loght for about a half and hour. He was behaving normally and even ate a piece of his greens which he never does. I eneded up using moonlight night time bulb to give him heat when I put him back to bed. I tunred his lights off at 830pm and checked on him at about 920pm. Is there any thing else I should do. I am so scared. When this happened my thermostat said it was 80°f in my apartment.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
He really should have no light at night, no red or blue lights. I would turn on the CHE. Do you have a digital probe thermometer ? What is the temperature ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Can you review your tank setup with us, such as the type/brand of UVB, substrate, supplements,
as well as the temperatures, too so we can be sure everything is all correct.
If you have any pictures, feel free to post them also.
What type of thermometer are you using to measure his temperatures with, a digital probe or a
temperature gun?
How old is he?

Tracie

Geoffrey16

Original Poster
The Che was on when I found him. Its a very small wattage one. I keep it quite warm in my apartment overall, so I didnt think a bigger one was necessary. I dont have a digital thermometer at the moment had plans on getting one tomorrow. His temps on the dial thermometer said it was about 80°f. He's sleeping now. I woke him up once just to make sure he was okay. The thermometer says about 90° now.
Hes about 2-3 months old i believe 6 1\2 inches long. He eats about 30 crickets a day dusted with calcium with d3. Has a uvb reptisun t8 10.0 mounted to the lid. Its a 20gallon tank. Has a 100 uva/basking light above the screen. His baskong point stays between 95°-105° f and his cool side 75°-80°. Has reptile carpet. He does not eat his greens very much. Ive seen him eat about 4 bites since ove had him about two weeks. He was gettong small mealworms also before I read not to feed them too him. He also poops twice a day, with no discolouration in the urate.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he doing tonight?
The dial thermometers are not as accurate as the digital probes or temp guns. So, it could be
off by several degrees. I'm glad you will be getting a digital probe then, so you can double check
your temperatures.
Is the Reptisun 10 tube bulb mounted on top of the tank or underneath of the screen top & how
far is it from your dragon? Your basking light is a bright white correct?
The ceramic heat emitter use is fine for overnight as long as it doesn't get any warmer than 80
for him so he can sleep better.
They are very stubborn about eating their greens at that age, but keep trying! Eventually he will
start recognizing it as a food source.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Geoffrey16

Original Poster
The reptisun is under the screen but at least 6 inches from him. And yes the basking light is a bright white light. A zoomed 100w basking bulb. He is sleeping fine now. Just checked on him. Just wish i could ger a better read of the temp. Thank you so much for your feed back.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would invest in a Infrared heat gun - from Walmart Home Depot or Lowes-- for around $10 -- it will give the best accurate temps for basking
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom