Baycox - dragon black beard and vomiting after 2nd dose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

My boy was prescribed Baycox 3 days ago for a high Coccidia count, it was the 2.5%, i wasn't aware that 5% is the preferred one to use and he had his first dose, was ok, yesterday was 2nd dose and I woke today he was black beard and not wanting to eat. Tonight he vomited and keeps trying to vomit.

I heard the 2.5 is quite harsh on their tummies as it's PH level is 12 which is super alkaline.

I'm trying to get fluids into him to help dilute it down and to help with the vomiting to prevent dehydration.

Can anyone else confirm weather they have used the 2.5% before.

I'm so worried and no vets are open till the morning

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry to hear this, he needs to get to a vet if he's still sick and get fluids ASAP. How big is your dragon and how much were you giving him ? The 2.5 strength is actually only half the strength of the 5 % but the dosing may have been off or he may just have a bad reaction like some humans do with certain meds. Can you post pics of him now + of the syringe + how much you gave him / Can you get him in to your vet ASAP ? You possibly gave the wrong amount , there are dosing instructions stickied at the top of this page so you can double check how to administer proper dosage. Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

DragonMamaOfMany

Original Poster
AHBD":1nxxmu4t said:
Sorry to hear this, he needs to get to a vet if he's still sick and get fluids ASAP. How big is your dragon and how much were you giving him ? The 2.5 strength is actually only half the strength of the 5 % but the dosing may have been off or he may just have a bad reaction like some humans do with certain meds. Can you post pics of him now + of the syringe + how much you gave him / Can you get him in to your vet ASAP ? You possibly gave the wrong amount , there are dosing instructions stickied at the top of this page so you can double check how to administer proper dosage. Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Groot is 600g and he was given 0.48ml of the 2.5% strength.
The issue I have read is that it's high alkalinity causing upset tummy's and discomfort in the mouth throat and gut.

This am he's probably had about 8mls water. It's been 40hours since his last dose of Baycox

102420-2956917868.jpg
102420-9644970335.jpg
102420-9018550510.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
So he' still has a black beard there, is he doing better now ? Did you contact the vet ? At least this was the last dose. I'm not sure why he would have had such a reaction, most dragons take it with no problem.

DragonMamaOfMany

Original Poster
AHBD":2k2eag6x said:
So he' still has a black beard there, is he doing better now ? Did you contact the vet ? At least this was the last dose. I'm not sure why he would have had such a reaction, most dragons take it with no problem.

Because they used the poultry solution which should NEVER be given orally without massive dilution. The one used for beardies is the piglets suspension.

The vets being dismissive and has since emailed all reptile clients stating they no longer offering care to reptiles.

Today he's not vomited, he's pooped, drank a decent amount and taken 4.5mls of Repashy slurry

He will have a sore gut/internals as the poultry solution his high in alkaline and will have "burned" so he's having basically a severe acid reflux episode is my guess.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I know we have messaged via Facebook, but saw your post here & thought I would comment
here also if that's ok!
I hope Groot is feeling better. I can't remember if I asked how often you were giving probiotics
for him?
Definitely continue to keep him warm at night to help boost his system & hopefully he wont
vomit anymore & will continue to take his slurries. Poor guy, he doesn't look like he feels well
right now.

Tracie

DragonMamaOfMany

Original Poster
Hey Tracie ?

He didn't vomit yesterday but he did today, I think I gave him too much Repashy in one go, he's still alert, moving around etc, I'm trying to get probiotics in him daily atm, he's not liking them, but happily takes tepid water. Still sporting his black beard for most of the day ?

His tank is at 26 during the night for now.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Hopefully the probiotics will help him out along with extra water. Maybe his black beard will
get better soon!L
How is his weight holding up?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

DragonMamaOfMany

Original Poster
Hey Trac

His weight is stable, the day he started treatment he was 595, I just weighed him now and he's exactly the same so my fluids and slurry must be enough to keep him stable

He's still black bearding, seems to be resting alot which is expected.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Glad to hear has not lost any weight, that is very good news. His kidneys hopefully haven't
suffered much then because you were on top of keeping him hydrated!
He is feeling better today now? I hope his black beard is subsiding, too.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is terrific, I am so glad he is feeling better now. Bless him. :D
It sounds like he is getting it out of his system so hopefully soon, he will be back to normal.
Keep us posted on him. He is such a little cutie!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom