Beardies and travel -- should I get one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KendraA

Hatchling Member
Hi all,

I'm considering getting a bearded dragon, but I'm worried about travel. I had a bearded dragon in the past and he was extremely social and free range in my house whenever I was home (which was a lot, because I work from home). When I was out of town, my roommate could let him out and monitor him. He was accustomed to coming and going from his cage when he pleased, and he also came with me for hikes, visits to the park on his leash, even camping trips. He thrived and was very alert because of all the stimulus.

Now, though, I live alone. I don't travel a ton, but I do occasionally for work, for a week or more at a time. I have people who would come over to feed and bathe a beardie, but I worry about one being alone at home and stuck in the terrarium while I'm gone. I thought perhaps some folks on here might have found some creative solutions.

Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I travel quite a bit. I try to bring my dragon with me and usually do when it's a drive, but I can't when I fly. I have a friend who stops by to clean the tank and offer fresh food and some outside the tank time and that works out pretty well. It's easier to do for adults since you can just give them a big salad and they'll do their thing. They don't need frequent meals the way a young dragon does. I'd get or build as large of an enclosure as you can. That way, while you're gone they still have a variety and somewhat enriching environment to live in.

KendraA

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks! I would love to travel with it if I'm going by car. I'm occasionally on the road for up to a month, so I guess I'd need to find a place where it could go and stay. But it's good to know that others make it work.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
For road trips, it helps to have a carrier and travel lighting. I use this carrier and it's great https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EW2WKZU/ I usually have a bag full of cleaning supplies in the car as well as a dome fixture with mercury vapor bulb, plenty of small towels/blankets, some reptile shipping hand warmers for emergency or cold nights, an adjustable lamp stand, and a small cooler for food. I used to try a baby play pen but he could crawl out of it pretty easily and even a foldable one is fairly bulky. I just set up the light next to his carrier in an open room after clearing it of dangers and just let him free roam the way he does at home a lot of the time.

76248-2473803661.jpg

KendraA

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
That's a great idea! I will check out that carrier. I found a friend who can board a beardie while I'm on extended trips, so I think it's do-able!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom