My bearded dragon is biting his tail help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont understand what's going on and I'm scared. I just witnessed him bit himself and I dont know what to do please help me. Hes a couple months old I feed him crickets regularly and his greens now I dont understand what's going on

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Can you please post pics of his tank and lighting--- I have never heard of a bearded dragon doing this-- maybe someone else can answer this question
Karrie

LordPotRoast

Original Poster
102659-2512700856.jpg
102659-9816812947.jpg
102659-8246813691.jpg
102659-9243572363.jpg
I'm afraid to touch him at the moment as he seems a little irritated, I think he might be biting off tail rot because it's not bleeding and he did bite his tail before but I treated it as best I could thinking it went away. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to take him to a vet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You need to have TracieDrache613 or AHBD look at the tail and see if they can give you some advice on how to treat--- Tracie is our vet moderator and AHBD is pretty experienced w/ dragons etc... you can either PM or wait and see if they respond to this post --- try and get a better pic of the tail plz -- I dont know why he would be biting on his tail I am not real medically savay on this -- you can always PM them w/ pics
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow that must have really been bothering him for some reason. Is he still biting at his toes too? Do try to keep the areas clean and apply antibiotic ointment like plain neosporin to help prevent the wounds from becoming infected. Hopefully he stops this behavior soon. Other than those areas causing him irritation for some reason, I'm not sure what would make him want to attack himself like that.

LordPotRoast

Original Poster
No he stopped biting his toes, he doesn't seem off I can still pick him up and stuff he still runs around like nothing happened, I am really confused I put some neosporin on it so that it can heal and I'll probably do it twice a day.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's odd behavior for sure. I hope his wounds heal quickly and without issue. Please keep us posted.

LordPotRoast

Original Poster
It is 12:41pm where I am located I have fed him his greens and crickets, he seems happy but I'm still keeping an eye on him before I have to go to work. I have applied neosporin to both of his affected areas to prevent infection. He pulls back his foot everytime I put neosporin on it which tells me it hurts him, but when I touch his tail he doesn't pull back or hiss at me. I will keep you guys posted with anything new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom