Vet won't treat parasites

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman101

Hi all,

I am going to one of the best reptile vets in the Toronto area and my bearded dragons fecal came back with 3 types of parasites. However, the vet says new best practices is that it’s better not to treat the parasites and that almost all the bearded dragons they see have some sort of parasites. They will only treat the parasites if my bearded dragon looks/is very sick/unhealthy.

What are your thoughts on this should I let my bearded dragon be or pressure them to treat him? Also wondering if your vets have given you similar advice?

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
My understanding is that they should not be treated unless the parasite load is above a certain level. If the dragon is otherwise healthy, happy and gaining or maintaining weight, then sometimes the treatment can do more harm than good. I am by no means an expert though, so would also like to hear some of them chime in.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I agree dragons have natural parasites in their intestine- I took Hiccup in to the vet last fall and he came back w/ a low count however my vet wanted to treat so since Hiccup was not acting sick /lethargic I got TracieDrache613 second opinion - the med percribed would of done more harm than good - so I opted out not to give the med -- he has been fine every since --- I just kept an eye on him and his behavior
Karrie

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
That is my understanding as well.

I took Tampico to the vet last year because she WAS sickly and lethargic. She came back with a HIGH count of pinworms, which the vet gave meds for. However, she did say that all beardies have some form of parasites in their system, and that the meds will treat the high count, but will not cure completely and as long as she returned to her normal self, it was not necessary to keep giving medication if their is a low county of worms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom