New to beardies

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 1 year of debate and my 4 year old begging, we got our first bearded. Its name is kiwi and we are told it is about 5-6 months old. He is acclimating, as are we. Im not sure how to add a photo but will eventually figure it out. So far all is well, I think lol. I will definitely be asking for advice
We just moved his tank out into three living room as someone suggested keeping him in a busy place. We do have cats so I'm a bit unsure about that but his enclosure is protected so they can't get in. I just worry that seeing them might stress him too much. Any advice is welcome

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to the forum---- little Kiwi-- where did you get your little one? Can you post pics of his tank and lighting set up---- advice about your cats----- yes they will think he is a toy--- it is imperative that you keep them away from him and supervised at all times when you have him out--- you dont want them scratching him as this could cause infection and yes they will stress him out---- it will be up to you to train so to speak that Kiwi is a NO NO!! I have 4 cats and they are not interested in Hiccup anymore -- he is old news --- but I still watch them anyway he is never alone w/ them when he is out-- they dont go near his tank - it is in my office and they dont jump on top or anything however this I cant say about yours--- this is just info for you---- we recently had someones dog broke into the screened cage they had their baby in and he got to the baby and it killed it. Please ask questions and we are all hear to help
Karrie

shelly2314

Original Poster
I will post as soon as I get home. We originally had him in a guest bedroom but someone said we should move him out to a busy part of house. Is this true or was he fine in his own room?

We don't let the cats near him when he is out.

I got him from a breeder at repticon. He is awesome

shelly2314

Original Poster
1 cat is extremely interested in kiwi, 1 couldn't possibly care less, and 1 just wants to be near the heat lamp. I am questioning whether I should keep him out with the family or in his own room.

Here are some photos
103517-2966498048.jpg
103517-3207263807.jpg
103517-2919955347.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The one cat might be a problem--- the one that likes the heat lamp yea that could be a issue as well - you dont want him on top of the screen!! I would consider putting him w/ the family - he will like it better than being by himself all the time -- I have Hiccup in my computer room as I spend a lot of time in there --- as far as your set up the lighting you have is it a coil UVB? If it is its not sufficient for him-- your gonna want to get a Reptisun 10 T5, or the Arcadia D3 12% or 14% T5 tube, both of which are very good. You will need a T5 light fixture also. You can get a T 8 but you will need to get the fixture as well --- the fixtures are different from one another-- the difference between the 2 bulbs T 5 and T 8 are the life span and output -- the T 8's only last 6 months and need to be changed out-- the T 5's last a year -- also the output of the T 5 is higher--- it needs to be mounted inside the tank - the T 5 can go on top as long as the mesh on top is not fine - the T 8 however will need to go inside the tank approx 10-11 inches away from where Kiwi sits--- this lighting is crucial --- their digestion and bones rely heavily on this lighting-- what are you taking basking temps w/ ? I would suggest a Infrared Heat gun - you can get them from Walmart Home Depot Lowes for around $10 -- they are the most accurate for getting temps- the digital probe is fine for ambient temps in tank but that IR gun will give you basking spot temp-- place inside tank approx 2-4 " from spot to get temp-- are you feeding him dubia roaches or crickets? That is their main diet at this time -- 80 % bugs dusted w/ calcium d3 5 x per week vitamins 2 x per week 20 % vegies-- still offer him vegies like collard greens turnip greens mustard greens - there is a nutrition list on the feeding board that will take you to a website for nutrition -- I recommend dubias -- they are more healthy than the crickets and are easy to keep as well - they also dont stink and dont chirp--- you can get them on line and suppliers offer free shipping - if you have a 10 gallon aquarium they can be kept in that and fed carrots apples sweet potatos dubia food --- if you have any more questions please ask
Karrie

shelly2314

Original Poster
Currently he gets crickets and greens. I cant quite talk the wife into roaches.

He currently is with the family. I don't have a room where cats are not...we are working with them not bothering kiwi and constantly work on "teaching" them to leave him be. Hoping this is new and they qill.bore quickly

I check temp with our infrared gun

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok --- since they the cats are curious you might let them smell him w/ you holding kiwi-- how old are the cats? Mine are all older so they are pretty much out of the kitten mode--- hopefully eventually they will get bored
Karrie

shelly2314

Original Poster
We'r have moved him onto a bookcase that the cats can see but not climb and kiwi remains in the room with family.

I trying to talk my wife into a front opening terrarium that is taller so I can create levels for him to climb. Is the size he is in sufficient? Is a front door terrarium okay for them?

I want to he sure we are doing what's best for kiwi

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would recommend a bigger tank like a 75-120 gallon and definitely w/ front doors -- its going to be easier for you to clean---- I also recommend slated ceramic tile or non adhesive floor liner for a substrate--- I have the tile purchased from Home Depot for around $13 for my 120 gallon tank-- it will need to be cut to fit tank that you have him in permanently --- cleans up w/ vinegar and water 50/50 in a spray bottle and paper towels- I put paper towels under the tile for the urate / watery stool to be absorbed so when I pull tile its easier to clean just pull paper towel replace and clean tile -- here is a pic of what my tank looks like---
97951-1918616193.jpg
Karrie

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I have a thought on adding dubia roaches, maybe your spouse can find this as an appealing reason? I started a small plastic bin for breeding roaches and I truly hate roaches. In the long run this will save money and be better for my beardie. One benefit I did not expect was the entertainment my cat has gotten from the roaches. The bin is about 18" x 10" x 6" sturdy plastic, on the floor, with heat mat underneath. My cat will stare at roaches, try to poke at them, lays down next to bin for heat. The bin is wedged under a table so its not moveable by much, also out of sight from anyone in the house who doesn't want to see roaches. I see this keeping my dragon safer from unwanted attention and it is enjoyable for my cat. I got the bin for free, it is a large critter keeper type bin with ventilation snap on top. It takes some effort and cash to start up, but so easy once you do it

possumpeg

KarrieRee":23frzlcw said:
Welcome to the forum---- little Kiwi-- where did you get your little one? Can you post pics of his tank and lighting set up---- advice about your cats----- yes they will think he is a toy--- it is imperative that you keep them away from him and supervised at all times when you have him out--- you dont want them scratching him as this could cause infection and yes they will stress him out---- it will be up to you to train so to speak that Kiwi is a NO NO!! I have 4 cats and they are not interested in Hiccup anymore -- he is old news --- but I still watch them anyway he is never alone w/ them when he is out-- they dont go near his tank - it is in my office and they dont jump on top or anything however this I cant say about yours--- this is just info for you---- we recently had someones dog broke into the screened cage they had their baby in and he got to the baby and it killed it. Please ask questions and we are all hear to help
Karrie

That was my dog, so I can tell you it's absolutely heartbreaking. We keep our new baby in a room with my son, about 30" off the floor in an aquarium and NO OTHER ANIMALS in the room. I am home most of the day, so I do go in and handle the new baby a few times a day to get him/her used to being handled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom