Introducing Skag Drogo the dragon. Newbie owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skullymama

Hello guys!!

I’ve had my little dude or dudette for almost a week now. I obviously found this site way too late, after I had brought him home, but since then I have been digging diligently to ensure I get things right in a timely manner....

First, I got my guy from petsmart, I already know. ? but he seems fairly healthy and pretty active. I’m not sure of his age, but from what I’ve learned maybe only a few weeks to a month or two old. My habitat is bare but I’m slowly building it up and wanting to start building a big space for him. For now the 20 gallon starter kit is what I began with. His diet is mostly little dubias, about 7-10 a day dusted with calcium with d3. He’s pooping normal and seems to really be enjoying life. I have the ceramic heat lamp on the way for night time, but I keep my house at 70 and thus far he’s been comfortable. His basking spot sits at 103, and cool side about 77... I just ordered the repti sun t5 and installed it in his tank this morning. So I’m just wondering if it’s set up properly and where to go from here. I offered him a salad of sorts the other day and he chose bugs. He did taste the cilantro and spaghetti squash though.

Any way, meet my littl guy/girl Skag Drogo the dragon. And I’m welcome to any and all advice.
103572-4414660083.jpg
103572-5498306923.jpg
103572-5266809761.jpg
103572-5005710763.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! He is a healthy looking leatherback. I'm glad you upgraded the UVB light. Which T5 did you get? Some of them can be pretty powerful for a little 20g tank.

Skullymama

Original Poster
It does seem slightly overbearing... I’m probably going to secure him a 40 gallon tank until I can get the big permanent one built and finished. The fixture I have has reflectors on it so it mainly points at the opposite side of the tank but I was trying to make sure he had the proper lighting becaus eive learned how crucial it is. I got the repti sun 10.0 T5 HO in 22 inches. Is that too much? He is 6” away at the closest on his climbing tree..

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would put it up a little higher like around 10-11 inches from him -- it might be a little strong
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah the 10.0 T5 is a very good bulb but it's better suited for a larger tank. If you can get a 40g breeder tank for now I'd move him to that. The bulb will be just right for that tank. Otherwise I'd drop down to the T5 5.0 bulb (same fixture) until you can move to a bigger tank - then the 10.0 bulb will be suitable again.

possumpeg

I just got a notification today from Petco that they are having their $1 per Gallon aquarium sale, so you may want to check on that for your 40g tank.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
possumpeg":2yn9r3qw said:
I just got a notification today from Petco that they are having their $1 per Gallon aquarium sale, so you may want to check on that for your 40g tank.

That's really good to hear. Hopefully they are carrying the 40g breeders. I picked up a spare at that sale years ago. Pretty good deal for a tank that size, especially since you can avoid shipping charges!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great light indeed. Be sure to mount any tube bulbs directly overhead for him so that it wont
glare into his eyes & will direct the UVB downward onto him more efficiently.
For a 20 gallon, you can mount it on top of the screen unless you can have it mounted underneath
of the screen at a distance of 10-12 inches. Once you get the 40 gallon or a larger size it will be a
bit easier to get the distances correct.
He looks very good in the picture.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom