How do you do a reptile nasal spray ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I have been using manuka honey on Peppa's blocked right nostril for a while now, not really making any difference and I saw a droplet of pus (?) on it today.

She can get air flow through it as when she breaths the honey disappears into the nostril mostly and sometimes it forms a tiny bubble of honey.
No other symptoms , I don't think she's is suffering a URI or mouth rot , or there is anthing serious going on with her healthwise apart from a very stubborn flap of skin that is nearly blocking the nostril. She is bothered by it sometimes can be seen or heard rubbing it against surfaces, so much so that she has rubbed it a little bit raw on the nostil's exterior (the nostril rim looks pinkish in places).
She's alert and acting normally and eating well.

I'm going to up the ante and try F10 (1:250) as a nasal spray but unsure how to do a nasal spray into a beardie's nostil.

Anyone tried this ?

I have an 18g plastic conical syringe nozzle that I think will be best way to "pump" some dilute F10 into the nostril.
SYRINGE_and_green_feeding_cone_from_Ebay.png

I found a paper that indicates 0.1ml of F10 (1.250) per nostril per day is effective.
Nasal flush: in cases of upper respiratory tract disease in terrestrial tortoises F10 was used at a concentration of 1:250 as a nasal flush. 0.1ml is used in each nostril daily. Environmental conditions were adjusted where applicable. Most cases resolve in a few days though some cases persist with a permanent clear discharge.

If a week or two of treatment using honey and a daily F10 nasal flush doesn't make for an improvement I'll take her to the local reptile to be checked. I don't think it's going to come this though and I think her next nasal shed might clear this up , even though the last nasal shed didn't . It may be months before she has another nasal shed.

Up to now I've been thinking her blocked right nostril has been more of concern to me than to her.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Have you thought about nebulizer treatments? Since she's getting air through it, this seems to be a less invasive approach and, might get more of it on the surfaces where it is needed...just a thought.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Yes , I have , but I don't have a nebulizer , only bit of first aid kit I haven't got around to getting.

I'm not however convinced this is in the respiratory system , more likely an infected abrasion on the outer nostril I think , maybe just a few mm in maybe.
Hence the nasal spray / flush as I don't want go probing about for doing anything that will make an injury that very superficial atm worse.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
kingofnobbys":1hafw3z6 said:
Thinking about it, I think the "pus" is honey mixed with a little mucus.
Personally I would take her to a qualified herp vet to be sure. I don't like to leave anything to chance.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
2 nasal flushes with 0.1ml - 0.15ml of F10 (1/250) using a salvaged / deneedled 0.3ml syringe , and the little spot of discharge that was the size of a pin head and was brown I've seen each morning for 3 days on her right nostril opening , is no longer brown but clear (this morning). The rim of her right nostril isn't as inflamed either and I've not seen her rubbing her nose at all today.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
kingofnobbys":36lckp4j said:
2 nasal flushes with 0.1ml - 0.15ml of F10 (1/250) using a salvaged / deneedled 0.3ml syringe , and the little spot of discharge that was the size of a pin head and was brown I've seen each morning for 3 days on her right nostril opening , is no longer brown but clear (this morning). The rim of her right nostril isn't as inflamed either and I've not seen her rubbing her nose at all today.
Sounds like it's clearing up......Yahooooo!!!!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
No discharge today, nostril nice and dry, just some dry crusty stuff , keeping up the nasal flushes for another few days to make sure .

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
kingofnobbys":3dazfqy5 said:
No discharge today, nostril nice and dry, just some dry crusty stuff , keeping up the nasal flushes for another few days to make sure .
That's great news my friend. WTG!!!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Update :
A while ago I noticed Peppa was blowing the occasional mini bubble in her right (apparently perpetually blocked nostril <== bad nasal shed a last time she shed on the head).
Just a nearly blocked right nostril they blows tiny bubbles when she eats something really juicy (like her daily silkworm).
Pretty sure she is not suffering an URI as she shows no other symptoms. Apart her "snoring" (a whistlely snore) when she's really relaxed and asleep and close to my face (one of her favourate activities is sleeping and resting all floppylike and spread out on my chest with her head under my chin right near my ear (I can't hear her snoring otherwise)).

I had been putting a drop of manuka honey on the nostril and yep, it disappears inside the nostril promptly when she breaths in , and I often see a honey bubble form when she breaths out (I'm talking a bubble smaller than a pinhead).

So just incase there was some other kind of infection in the nasal passage I started doing an F10 nasal purge using a 0.3ml syringe ( only about 0.1ml ) per dose a couple times per day (she don't like it but "tolerates" it.

She was also doing a bit of nose rubbing , so I took that to mean it's bothering her though she has no other behavior changes.

The flap of skin eventually came off , was loose and a light rub with a damp cotton bud lifted it and I discovered the skin under was pinkish and raw (from her rubbing).

So I'm back to the manuka honey treatment and bathing with F10 (1:250) soaked swab to ensure no infection takes hold along with a F10 nasal flush once per day as a precautionary measure until the little patch in on the rim of her right nostril looks normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom