Gravid (Inactive) Lady Drogona <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my young beardie (approx. 8 - 10 months old) is gravid with inactive eggs. I took her to the vet yesterday and they did an ultrasound on her, so this confirmed that I noticed her not eating and basking as much, so this is probably why. She also has coccidia (vet gave me meds for that).
My biggest concern is that she will want to lay while I'm at work. Unfortunately I'm a busy dragon momma so there's a chance she will show signs of laying when I'm not home. I have the idea to leave her dig box and bowl of water in her enclosure while I'm gone just in case this occurs. Is this a good idea? Any advice or alternatives?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would definitely get a laybox ready for her in case she does need to lay. That way she will have
the option of using it or not.
When they get close to laying, their appetites start to decrease a lot since the eggs are taking up
most of the space in the abdomen area. Did the vet mention where the egg placement was?
Be sure the laybox is moist., to where she can burrow & it will hold up & not cave in on her.
Feel free to post pictures of her so we can see her condition.
Is her beard normal color right now?

Tracie

andromedasaffron

Original Poster
Drache613":2gsk4b07 said:
Hello,

I would definitely get a laybox ready for her in case she does need to lay. That way she will have
the option of using it or not.
When they get close to laying, their appetites start to decrease a lot since the eggs are taking up
most of the space in the abdomen area. Did the vet mention where the egg placement was?
Be sure the laybox is moist., to where she can burrow & it will hold up & not cave in on her.
Feel free to post pictures of her so we can see her condition.
Is her beard normal color right now?

Tracie

Hey Tracie, The vet didn't mention but I watched her as she performed the ultrasound. There were some towards the middle it seemed but when I gave my dragon a bath this morning I think I felt them towards the side of her tummy too. The vet said she definitely has some that were well developed and maybe some more developing. And her beard is perfectly normal.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Lady Drogona looks beautiful indeed!
How is she doing today? She looks very alert in the pictures so she definitely doesn't
appear stressed right now.
Keep us posted on how she is doing. Hopefully she will lay those eggs soon.

Tracie

andromedasaffron

Original Poster
Thank you! She's doing well! I cut down the heat on her basking spot so she's basking regularly now but still not eating which is probably because of the eggs. I'm not sure how long it'll take for her to lay. She stopped eating from her normal amount a month ago and from what the vet told me, she didn't seem egg bound. I'm just gonna keep giving her daily baths and offering the lay box :) Any idea on how long I should wait for her to lay before being concerned?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

A month is a decent amount of time. Since her appetite has decreased, technically, it shouldn't
be much longer if her eggs have started dropping down.
There is always a chance her body could possibly reabsorb them, but if they have been shelled
already then she will most likely lay them. Maybe give it another week or two. Watch for signs
of distress, restlessness, straining when trying to go to the bathroom, but nothing coming out, etc.
If her beard starts become a dull gray or black, then she may be having some trouble.
Keep us posted on her!

Tracie

andromedasaffron

Original Poster
Hey Tracie, I'm at the vet with Drogona now. The vet thinks she is in the pre stages of egg laying, so it seems she may have ovarian follicles. She's going to email me an x-ray, should I get a second opinion? I read that even the follicles can become bound also. She said there's no signs of fluid or gasses that would relate to binding either. Once I get the x-rays I'll post them.

Drache613":3thdhf2e said:
Hello,

A month is a decent amount of time. Since her appetite has decreased, technically, it shouldn't
be much longer if her eggs have started dropping down.
There is always a chance her body could possibly reabsorb them, but if they have been shelled
already then she will most likely lay them. Maybe give it another week or two. Watch for signs
of distress, restlessness, straining when trying to go to the bathroom, but nothing coming out, etc.
If her beard starts become a dull gray or black, then she may be having some trouble.
Keep us posted on her!

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

Ok, great. So, no total emergency yet then, she is still developing them? The follicles can
sometimes become bound or just give them trouble. Since she doesn't seem to be having any
issues yet, you could hold off a bit longer.
You can seek a second opinion by all means, if you would like to. Definitely send or post a
picture of the x-rays if she sends the email to you.
Let us know how Drogona is doing.

Thanks,
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom