Beardie Doesn't Like Dubia Roaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1993

Hello! Nick here! Has anyone every heard of a dragon not really liking his Dubia Roaches? I finally got some for him & he eats a couple then walks away like he's done eating but he's definitely not done eating. Today he ate about 3 dub roaches and acted like he was done until I pulled out a small Hornworm lol I then offered him some mealworms and he ate about 15 of those. Ever since I got him ( which was only about a month ago. ) he's eating 20+ crickets or mealworms depending on what I feed him. So when I try to feed him the Roaches and he acts like he's had enough of them but I get some MealWorms out and he goes crazy lol I've heard people have mixed feelings about mealworms but he loves them and still poops at least once per day so they aren't causing impaction. I do feed him the small ones so I don't know if that helps out not. I Also feed him a couple blueberries in the morning and top that off with MealWorms until he's done eating. I was giving him Kale but again I've heard mixed things about Kale so I quit and will be going tomorrow to find some new veggies and greens. Anyone have any advice?
103337-8826208468.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How old is he? I would lay off the meal worms -- meal worms super worms and horn worms are all treat worms--- my guess is hes gonna get fat--- he needs more vegies --- like 80% for an adult --- 20% staple bugs- crickets dubias BFL (nutri grubs) etc.............. if he is still a baby or juvenile its the other way around 80% bugs 20% vegies--
Karrie

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Remember that Dubias are 5x more nutritious than crickets. Depending on the size of the roaches, he may not eat as many. Rule of thumb is, nothing bigger than the space between their eyes. If they are to big he might be having a hard time getting them down, causing loss of interest.
Mealworms can cause impaction (exoskeletons are hard to digest) so it is not advised to feed those to dragons at young ages "I don't even feed them to an adult". Super worms are a good treat for adults, about twice a month (2 or 3 at a time).
My 4 month old dragon has decimated my roach colony, HE :love10: LOVES THEM :love10: at the tune of 30 to 40 mediums a day!!! Yes Charlie is a pig, LOL!!! 12" long and, only 4 months old :shock: :shock: !!!

Nick1993

Original Poster
I measured him a couple weeks ago and he was 9 in but he's in the middle of a shed. I don't know his exact age but by the research I did I guess he's around 12 weeks old. The Dubia roaches I've been feeding him are pretty small so I don't know... I definitely give him his 20% veggies/greens and the other 80% I rotate between crickets and mealworms & I've been trying Roaches now and will stop with the MealWorms. If he's only eating but 3 or 4 roaches what else do I do? I want to make sure he gets full and remains healthy. As i said with the mealworms I've been giving him are very small and hasn't affected his pooping. Of course I don't want it to either and will do whatever I need to. Thats why I come here because I'm still a new Dragon owner and want to make sure I'm doing right by my beardie...

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Nick1993":v14kh5ma said:
I measured him a couple weeks ago and he was 9 in but he's in the middle of a shed. I don't know his exact age but by the research I did I guess he's around 12 weeks old. The Dubia roaches I've been feeding him are pretty small so I don't know... I definitely give him his 20% veggies/greens and the other 80% I rotate between crickets and mealworms & I've been trying Roaches now and will stop with the MealWorms. If he's only eating but 3 or 4 roaches what else do I do? I want to make sure he gets full and remains healthy. As i said with the mealworms I've been giving him are very small and hasn't affected his pooping. Of course I don't want it to either and will do whatever I need to. Thats why I come here because I'm still a new Dragon owner and want to make sure I'm doing right by my beardie...
Also, If the roaches are to small, sometimes they will ignore them because they don't satisfy them. Maybe you could try bumping them up to the next size.

Nick1993

Original Poster
Gormagon":1qm5py8m said:
Nick1993":1qm5py8m said:
Also, If the roaches are to small, sometimes they will ignore them because they don't satisfy them. Maybe you could try bumping them up to the next size.

This morning he only ate 3 roaches, and a couple blueberries. He then walked away and ended up going poop lol. Im going to get some crickets today and see how that goes. I have a feeling he will eat a bunch of them. No more Meal worms if everyone thinks they are bad for him.

Here is a picture of the roaches I have left, there are a couple bigger ones but for the most part all of them are what I think is a good size for him.
103337-4027011697.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom