HOW TO CARE FOR AN ABUSED BEARDIE?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
l3r6RRr.jpg

Baby Beardie had a horrible accident, what can I do to comfort it? Today is the first day i've ever brought it home. also it doesn't seem to want to eat despite the doctor saying it is anorexic. She gave me some nutri-food that I would have to force feed it but I don't want the beardie to think something bad is going to happen everytime it sees me.

-----------------------------------------
Back Story of What Happened

I try not to buy anything from pet-stores because I don't support their milling of animals. The only time I go is to buy crickets and today I saw baby bearded dragon's trying to eat one of their cage-mates.

I told the employee what was happening and they removed the aggressive Beardie but left the injured one with the other cage-mates. It's tail was ripped off. I asked him if he had a corporate vet or someone in the store and he said no. They were just being aggressive because they only eat at night and haven't been fed yet. He was just going to put it in the back room so its tail could "grow back"

I told him i've owned bearded dragon's for 6 years and they can't grow their tails back and they do not eat in the night time! They only eat in the day!! no one is going to buy a bearded dragon with a ripped off limb!

I knew if they took the beardie into the back room it would of died. So I demanded they give it to me and I would take it to the hospital. He called the manager and decided to sell me the beardie at 20% off. When I checked out at the register the cashier looked at what happened to the beardie and said "ugh" but then just kept gossiping with her co-worker. Horrible horrible store. I don't even want to buy crickets from them anymore.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, poor little guy ! You should have taken pictures of it in the store for your local newspaper. Anyway, get some raw unpasteurized honey on the tail ASAP [ it's a natural antimicrobial ] Did the vet give an antibiotc ? Keep him on paper towels and since you've owned beardies you know about the proper lights + stuff.

It's probably too stressed to eat right now so just give it time. Be sure there are never any loose insects, even one, hiding in the tank because it would feed on the wound.

HerpGirl

Hatchling Member
It looks like tail rot, but on its toe. My guess is it got into a fight and got bit, And it got infected. :(

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Yes, that poor little guy needs some TLC. All of those injuries are survivable and, most likely will have little effect on his lifestyle. I did notice his front right hand might be missing some digits (unless I am looking at it wrong).
As AHBD said, the raw honey trick is great for these types of wounds.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
The care of the little dragon is most important. I think you need to get a honey saturated dressing on that tail stump and check it daily.
These honey impregnated tull dressings are available from the vet or the local chemist - you are looking for https://store.independenceaustralia.com/activon-tulle-impregnated-honey-dressing-10cmx10cm.html?___store=default&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIstTF19HT4AIVTAwrCh17mQyzEAYYASABEgJJ5_D_BwE , these can be cut to size.
If it starts looking infected at all, rush him to a good reptile vet.

Regarding the shop.... report them to the RSPCA or the local equivalent & PETA and a letter to the local TV news group and news paper will give VERY BAD press to the shop (who need to be forced out of business / shutdown / bankrupted IMO).
I'd talk to a lawyer about sending all the vet expenses to the shop demanding they pay.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow that is too bad, poor little dragon. It breaks me to see one in that condition, but, at
least now, he has some hope.
As suggested, raw unpasteurized honey for the tail & the toe will do wonders for it. How
is the spirit of your dragon, is he/she alert?
I would also recommend that you keep him a little warmer overnight, around 80 or so, to
help boost his immune system.
Let us know how he progresses.

Tracie

LadySpooks

Original Poster
AHBD":11n21unb said:
Wow, poor little guy ! You should have taken pictures of it in the store for your local newspaper. Anyway, get some raw unpasteurized honey on the tail ASAP [ it's a natural antimicrobial ] Did the vet give an antibiotc ? Keep him on paper towels and since you've owned beardies you know about the proper lights + stuff.

It's probably too stressed to eat right now so just give it time. Be sure there are never any loose insects, even one, hiding in the tank because it would feed on the wound.

The veterinarian gave me an oral anti-biotic and a second to put directly on the wound. Right after i put it on the wound, she told me to put the honey on him. this is to be done every 48 hours. I've been trying to give him sugary fruit as treats to perk up but he won't take it. I'm going to try and give him little crickets tomorrow ( i got out of work at 8pm and the petstores in my area close at 7pm on sundays ) so he hasn't eaten in a while and i'm very worried.

LadySpooks

Original Poster
HerpGirl":btpu2gw2 said:
His toe doesn't look good (the long one, right hind), or is it a shadow? :?:

he's missing a finger-nail and he has injuries on his other feet but there wasn't much that could be done. the main concern for the veterinarian is the tail.

LadySpooks

Original Poster
HerpGirl":1gky3qwl said:
It looks like tail rot, but on its toe. My guess is it got into a fight and got bit, And it got infected. :(

The other beardies in the tank also had tail rot, and attacked this one because they weren't being fed.

:c luckily his toes don't have rot but they are very injured. he's missing a toe and his little toes are crooked.

there's also some rot on his tail developing because of the wound but the veterinarian gave me anti-biotics and he has another appointment 2 weeks.

LadySpooks

Original Poster
Gormagon":2qmda6pz said:
Yes, that poor little guy needs some TLC. All of those injuries are survivable and, most likely will have little effect on his lifestyle. I did notice his front right hand might be missing some digits (unless I am looking at it wrong).
As AHBD said, the raw honey trick is great for these types of wounds.

he is missing some toes :c

and i do have honey for his tail. i just hope the rot doesn't make it worse.

LadySpooks

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3y08fw1z said:
The care of the little dragon is most important. I think you need to get a honey saturated dressing on that tail stump and check it daily.
These honey impregnated tull dressings are available from the vet or the local chemist - you are looking for https://store.independenceaustralia.com/activon-tulle-impregnated-honey-dressing-10cmx10cm.html?___store=default&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIstTF19HT4AIVTAwrCh17mQyzEAYYASABEgJJ5_D_BwE , these can be cut to size.
If it starts looking infected at all, rush him to a good reptile vet.

Regarding the shop.... report them to the RSPCA or the local equivalent & PETA and a letter to the local TV news group and news paper will give VERY BAD press to the shop (who need to be forced out of business / shutdown / bankrupted IMO).
I'd talk to a lawyer about sending all the vet expenses to the shop demanding they pay.

The vet gave me some honey to put on him after i put the anti-biotics. I will call and ask her about these dressings but she didn't recommend them to me.

I am going to report them tomorrow and send corporate a formal complaint (it's my day off tomorrow finally ) but i'm worried that most people won't care because it's "just a lizard"

I am spreading it around facebook and reddit not to shop there.

LadySpooks

Original Poster
Drache613":4uslw9xy said:
Hello,

Wow that is too bad, poor little dragon. It breaks me to see one in that condition, but, at
As suggested, raw unpasteurized honey for the tail & the toe will do wonders for it. How
I would also recommend that you keep him a little warmer overnight, around 80 or so, to

Tracie

He's pretty out of it. He's been sleeping a lot and doesn't seem interested in eating. The only time he seemed alert was when I accidentally scared him awake when I went to check on him. He's only been with me for two days but he hasn't moved at all from his hiding spot.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
LadySpooks":w6wdqjyj said:
Drache613":w6wdqjyj said:
Hello,

Tracie

He's pretty out of it. He's been sleeping a lot and doesn't seem interested in eating. The only time he seemed alert was when I accidentally scared him awake when I went to check on him. He's only been with me for two days but he hasn't moved at all from his hiding spot.

He has gone through a very traumatic encounter and, is most likely scared to death of anything and, everything. Give him time because that is what it's going to take. JUst try and reassure him that you are his friend and, will not harm him, he'll come around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom