Multiple vets and scans, NO ANSWERS! Any tips welcome

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Re: Multiple vets and scans, NO ANSWERS! Any tips welcome

Postby artemisia » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:43 pm

UPDATE #2: Javi refuses to hunt. Not even a hornworm! I think she's lost some vision. Also, she was doing some odd/violent head thrashing before. Just a few seconds, but noticeable. She's puffing, with little bubbles emerging from the mouth.

I am now concerned that she won't make it to Monday. I could attempt a last-ditch trip to a veterinary hospital, but if the specialists won't act, why would they?
artemisia
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:56 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Multiple vets and scans, NO ANSWERS! Any tips welcome

Postby Drache613 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:34 pm

Hello,

Oh no, I am so sorry!
Since the other eye is starting the swelling that does seem indicative of some type of fungus or
bacterial infection causing this, or an abscess. I really hope it isn't an aneurism.
Can you think of anything that could have caused head or eye injury, like a fall or her bashing
her snout really hard up against her tank, etc?
Poor girl. Please keep us posted on her.
Are you going to try to take her in again?

Tracie
User avatar
Drache613
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 37588
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: May, Texas

Re: Multiple vets and scans, NO ANSWERS! Any tips welcome

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:03 pm

artemisia wrote:UPDATE #2: Javi refuses to hunt. Not even a hornworm! I think she's lost some vision. Also, she was doing some odd/violent head thrashing before. Just a few seconds, but noticeable. She's puffing, with little bubbles emerging from the mouth.

<<< you must remove all objects with hard edges from her tank , she is very likely to be thrashing about because the eye / s are very sore or very itchy and if she hits something hard and sharp she will rupture the eye .
You'll come home and find blood all over her and the tank.


The problem may well be in the eye-sockets or nasal passages or in the mouth , and draining pus into the nasal passages or tear ducks , all connected to the mouth and the bubbling indicates she is in urgent need of vet help , and meds as what ever is causing the swollen sore eyes is also in her bloodstream ==> strong indication of an abscess IMO.



I am now concerned that she won't make it to Monday. I could attempt a last-ditch trip to a veterinary hospital, but if the specialists won't act, why would they?
CBDs: Puff (M)(RIP 10Dec2015),Rex (F)(RIP 16Mar2017),Toothless (M)(RIP 26Nov2017).Peppa (F) (born 15Nov2015).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Lucky (M)(wild juvenile), cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.Wriggles (F)(rescued injured),thought she was a big lizard, over 8 yrs old, died in her sleep, RIP 2Feb2016). Fluffy (F) 4y old when rescued 14Nov2017 my little livewire , ubertame, thriving and very happy .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict
 
Posts: 9766
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 10:56 pm

Re: Multiple vets and scans, NO ANSWERS! Any tips welcome

Postby Drache613 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:01 pm

Hello,

I am wondering how your girl is doing today?
Please update us when you get a chance.

Tracie
User avatar
Drache613
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 37588
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: May, Texas

Re: Multiple vets and scans, NO ANSWERS! Any tips welcome

Postby artemisia » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:24 pm

UPDATE: Javi actually looks better today. She is more active and mischevious. Her other eye (not the original "problem" eye) looks LESS swollen today, somehow. It's baffling. My friend saw her too, and confirms that the eye was worse yesterday. The main "problem" eye is unchanged, though.

She hasn't made any more bubbles today, but I see her smacking/gulping/puffing quite often. The vet gave me a liquid food in case she stopped hunting, which I will administer tonight. Thankfully for me, Javi is a good sport and allows me to squirt things in her mouth.

The bubbles do indicate an infection, but she's been through two rounds of IV meds already, to no avail. What kind of alien germs, lol.

We have an appointment tomorrow (it's really a follow-up, from last week's visit) for a contrast CT and consultation. Part of me is worried that the contrast CT will reveal nothing, and I'll be sent home once again with no clear answers.

I'm sorry if I confused people! We always had the Monday appointment. Last night, I was freaking out and contemplating going to a 24-hour place (it was quite late). I didn't, which was probably a good thing, seeing as Javi improved today. I'd rather wait for people who know her, if at all possible.
artemisia
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:56 pm

Re: Multiple vets and scans, NO ANSWERS! Any tips welcome

Postby Drache613 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:43 pm

Hello,

That is good news the other eye has gotten better since yesterday.
I can't blame you for wanting to wait to see a vet who knows her & is more familiar with the
case at hand right now. I would not leave until you can get some type of answers or direction
of what needs to be done. Which antibiotics have been tried? Have they used any antimicrobial
agents like Metronidazole or Gentamicin or even AZT to see if that yield results?
I think also they should culture some fluids to try & target the bacteria, unless they have already
done so.
That is great she will take food from a syringe then, that really helps out! I hope she is feeling
better & that you can get this figured out as soon as possible.
Let us know how the vet visit goes.

Tracie
User avatar
Drache613
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 37588
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: May, Texas

Re: Multiple vets and scans, NO ANSWERS! Any tips welcome

Postby artemisia » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:43 pm

UPDATE: Great news! The contrast CT results were consistent with infection (the masses are diffuse). I was taught how to inject a lizard. I will be administering IV antibiotics, calcium (oral), and an eye drop over the next week and a half. The ovaries/eggbound situation persists, and there's some concern/possible medication coming up for the heart, but overall, PHEW.

I also have a powder food mix, in case she refuses to hunt again.

I was expecting so much worse! You know, like tumors/aneurysms/apocalyptic stuff. I'm beside myself omg :blob8:
artemisia
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:56 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Multiple vets and scans, NO ANSWERS! Any tips welcome

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:49 pm

So glad to hear about javi-- please keep us posted on her-- hope she gets better soon
Karrie
KarrieRee
Sub-Adult Poster
 
Posts: 1074
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: Multiple vets and scans, NO ANSWERS! Any tips welcome

Postby AHBD » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:34 pm

So glad to hear this, I can imagine how relieved you must be. :) Hopefully the treatment will take care of the problem quickly.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 22129
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am

Re: Multiple vets and scans, NO ANSWERS! Any tips welcome

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:22 pm

Well here's hoping the current therapy will clear up the infection and help reduce the swelling in the eyesockets making her much more comfortable and happy.

Keep us posted.
CBDs: Puff (M)(RIP 10Dec2015),Rex (F)(RIP 16Mar2017),Toothless (M)(RIP 26Nov2017).Peppa (F) (born 15Nov2015).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Lucky (M)(wild juvenile), cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.Wriggles (F)(rescued injured),thought she was a big lizard, over 8 yrs old, died in her sleep, RIP 2Feb2016). Fluffy (F) 4y old when rescued 14Nov2017 my little livewire , ubertame, thriving and very happy .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict
 
Posts: 9766
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 10:56 pm

Re: Multiple vets and scans, NO ANSWERS! Any tips welcome

Postby vrenee1018 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:55 am

That's great news! Best of luck on the little one's health!!!

Keep us posted.
Image Ohhh myyy little Taaam-piiico <3
User avatar
vrenee1018
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:20 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Multiple vets and scans, NO ANSWERS! Any tips welcome

Postby Drache613 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:04 pm

Hello,

That is excellent news, definitely not the prognosis I know you were expecting. I'm glad that
the CT scans were definitive then. I was really leaning towards an infection because of the
other eye swelling.
I hope the therapy does well for her. How is she doing today?
Definitely let us know how she progresses.

Tracie
User avatar
Drache613
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 37588
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: May, Texas

Re: Multiple vets and scans, NO ANSWERS! Any tips welcome

Postby artemisia » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:49 pm

UPDATE: Well! It's been a wild week.

The antibiotics did squat. I took Javi back to vet #2, who had just returned from a trip/assignment. Vet #2 attempted a biopsy, which vets #3 and #1 were unable and/or unwilling to do. Each attempt drew only blood. That, the fact that Javi's eye deflates/inflates with pressure, and abnormalities in her jugular (as seen in the CT scan), lead vet #2 to strongly suspect an aneurysm. Surgery would be extremely dangerous.

I agree that it's not worth attempting. Javi is still a happy sassy lizard who likes to bully my huge dog and torture hornworms. Bearded dragon aneurysm surgeries are risky as hell, from what I've seen, and this would involve the jugular.

Hopefully, her eye will reach an equilibrium state, and stop growing. She can live happily that way for a while (so says vet #2). Vet #3 wanted to do surgery immediately. I don't think I need to emphasize how glad I am that I hesitated.

I'll keep you all posted, as always <3
artemisia
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:56 pm

Re: Multiple vets and scans, NO ANSWERS! Any tips welcome

Postby Drache613 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:08 pm

Hello,

Oh no, I was really hoping that something like this was going to work. So the antibiotics are
not doing anything then for little Javi? That is interesting it seems to change with pressure so
that does sound like it could possibly be an aneurism of some type. Sometimes, the body will
absorb them & they go away depending on the reason. Surgery is definitely a high risk with
these types of surgeries & situations.
I hope that she continues to do well & that the swelling stays down for the most part for her.
Bless her! Please let us know how she is doing.

Tracie
User avatar
Drache613
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 37588
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: May, Texas
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to Beardie ER

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users